My day is complete

This is why I'm thinking about an electric DD. California is already jacking up gas prices. I figure it's going to keep going up to try to push people into getting electric. Practical for some, but not all. If you take a lot of long trips, it would be a pain to plan stops at all the charging stations.
I'm a little confused about the love affair with EV. The electrical power that charges them and makes them go has to come from somewhere. CA is already out of electrical power every summer. I don't see any new power plants.

Where does the energy come from?
Nuclear - no new plants in forever; big waste management problem.
Hydroelectric - need a dam and river; most viable locations already have dams and generators.
Coal - traditional and very dirty; pollution management very expensive; cheap & plentiful fuel.
Natural gas - the current go-to for power plants, subject to unnatural price hikes when demand increases.
Diesel - not financially viable for large scale power generation, pollution issues.

I don't see the EV solving any of these issues. Yes, it does move the location of the pollution from downtown to the power plant. Wouldn't a better solution be to implement / improve HS rail service into urban areas?
Now that covid has demonstrated that many, many jobs can be performed remotely, do we need large, downtown areas anymore? Time to start thinking outside the box...

I'm a little confused about the love affair with EV. The electrical power that charges them and makes them go has to come from somewhere. CA is already out of electrical power every summer. I don't see any new power plants.

Hydroelectric - need a dam and river; most viable locations already have dams and generators.
Coal - traditional and very dirty; pollution management very expensive; cheap & plentiful fuel.
Natural gas - the current go-to for power plants, subject to unnatural price hikes when demand increases.
Diesel - not financially viable for large scale power generation, pollution issues.

I don't see the EV solving any of these issues. Yes, it does move the location of the pollution from downtown to the power plant. Wouldn't a better solution be to implement / improve HS rail service into urban areas?
Now that covid has demonstrated that many, many jobs can be performed remotely, do we need large, downtown areas anymore? Time to start thinking outside the box...
Isn't @InOmaha our energy expert?

it's a good point, but you did forget solar and wind.

• Haha
Reactions: Plumber1
YOu seriously have to consider if it's worth dying over. I used to bike commute and it was < 5 miles but had to go through pretty high traffic areas. I considered myself pretty careful road on sidewalks when i could, no ear buds, dorky hand signals, then 1 day I almost got caught. Was taking a LH turn on a cross road with a green arrow well a lady in opposing lane decided to skip the light backup and shortcut through opposing traffic lane to get to the AM/PM. How the heck are you supposed to plan for that, narrowly avoided head on with car. I pretty much quit the bike commute.

People around here are not know for being courteous to bicycles. I mostly rode mountain bikes, but did some road bikes. Cars would honk and buzz cyclists even when there was no oncoming cars. And then there are yahoos like this.

• Wow
Reactions: DEValken
it's a good point, but you did forget solar and wind.
Sorry, you are correct. I like solar, but you also have to deal with battery disposal and it only works part of the time. I think it is best for residential use. Wind is also good for residential usage, with the same issues - batteries and inconsistency. T. Boone Pickens got heavily into wind, putting up those huge towers all over Texas and Oklahoma, then figured out his pay-back time was never! By the time the initial expense is paid down, maintenance eats up all the revenue.

If I lived in a large city, had to go downtown to work, and there was no viable mass transit option I would consider solar PV panels on the roof with batteries and an inverter used to charge my tiny electric car. As I would never recover the implementation costs of the solar system or the high costs of EV, it would be solely to reduce the amount of junk I was putting in the air. If everyone in LA, Chicago, NY, Houston, Boston, etc did this, it would reduce the amount of pollution. We know that's not going to happen anytime soon.

You also have to consider, for example, that China has five steel mills inside the city limits of Beijing and we share the planet's atmosphere with them. If everyone doesn't play, it won't work.

Sorry, you are correct. I like solar, but you also have to deal with battery disposal and it only works part of the time. I think it is best for residential use. Wind is also good for residential usage, with the same issues - batteries and inconsistency. T. Boone Pickens got heavily into wind, putting up those huge towers all over Texas and Oklahoma, then figured out his pay-back time was never! By the time the initial expense is paid down, maintenance eats up all the revenue.

If I lived in a large city, had to go downtown to work, and there was no viable mass transit option I would consider solar PV panels on the roof with batteries and an inverter used to charge my tiny electric car. As I would never recover the implementation costs of the solar system or the high costs of EV, it would be solely to reduce the amount of junk I was putting in the air. If everyone in LA, Chicago, NY, Houston, Boston, etc did this, it would reduce the amount of pollution. We know that's not going to happen anytime soon.

You also have to consider, for example, that China has five steel mills inside the city limits of Beijing and we share the planet's atmosphere with them. If everyone doesn't play, it won't work.

I think you might be underestimating some areas... and renewable electricity generation is increasing at a rapid rate in the US. Some states are better off than others of course.

1636655546606.png

Washington state sources:
1636655643165.png

Of course this chart is also interesting, according to this, the only area California has increased electricity generation in the last 5 years is solar.

1636655924505.png

Ultimately, we do have options, but the states have to invest in them.

Reactions: pc1p
The best investment is nuclear power. Safe, reliable, and clean. The waste issue isn't difficult from an engineering perspective. The only challenge is political. Too many excitable hippies catch to vapors at the mention.

2nd is distributed solar. Panels are getting quite affordable. Batteries still suck, so the best option for most is tying in to the grid.

One solution that warrants development is biomass. The forests are tremendously overgrown and are going to burn. Either they'll
a) burn wild and create tons of smoke and damage towns,
b) have controlled burns that create tons of smoke,
c) harvest and burn to generate electricity with minimal smoke

If things continue as they are, there very well could be a “research complex” built in the valley, hydrogen research is mentioned frequently.

Also, if funds allowed, I would buy a Tesla model S. I would then proceed to 0 - 100 the shit out it, laughing like a little girl every single time. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
  • USA Proud
Reactions: pc1p and Apparition
The best investment is nuclear power. Safe, reliable, and clean. The waste issue isn't difficult from an engineering perspective. The only challenge is political. Too many excitable hippies catch to vapors at the mention.

2nd is distributed solar. Panels are getting quite affordable. Batteries still suck, so the best option for most is tying in to the grid.

One solution that warrants development is biomass. The forests are tremendously overgrown and are going to burn. Either they'll
a) burn wild and create tons of smoke and damage towns,
b) have controlled burns that create tons of smoke,
c) harvest and burn to generate electricity with minimal smoke
The new “scrubbers” are efficient.

It doesn't matter...EVs will be a bust unless a new power source is developed. The weak link is a limited supply of lithium to make the batteries currently in use. That's why Tesla has invested so much in its own factories and procuring lithium supplies to support future production. With all the auto makers promising to go all EV within 20 years....there may not be enough to go around for the initial production of the vehicles. Then you need to have the additional supply available for the replacement batteries when the originals die.

Here's my take on battery powered cars:
1- The mining of the lithium for the batteries is destructive to the enviornment. This is undeniable.
2- Raw materials from the mining process are transported to factories using trucks, trains, and ships that burn fossil fuels. This is undeniable.
3- Raw materials are then processed into finished goods (batteries) at plants that burn fossil fuels. This is undeniable.
4- Finished goods (batteries) are then transported to electric car plants via trucks, trains, & ships that burn fossil fuels. This is undeniable.
5- Plants that make electric cars burn fossil fuels, rely upon materials made from fossil fuels, and require transportation of their finished goods via trucks, trains, & ships that burn fossil fuels. This is undeniable.
6- Distributors (dealerships, etc) rely upon transporting these new electric vehicles to their final detinations using trucks, trains, & ships that again burn fossil fuels, so that they can be charged and recharged by consumers on electric grids that also burn fossil fuels. This is undeniable.
7- Electric cars do NOTHING to reduce the amount of fossil fuel consumption. This is undeniable.
8- If someone really wants to reduce the carbon footprint of their chosen transportaion device (car, motorcycle, bike, etc.) then they would never buy another new one (regardless of power source), they would repair and reuse what they already have. This is undeniable.
9- Rant over. This is undeniable.

Last edited:
Here's my take on bettery powered cars:
1- The mining of the lithium for the batteries is destructive to the enviornment. This is undeniable.
2- Raw materials from the mining process are transported to factories using trucks, trains, and ships that burn fossil fuels. This is undeniable.
3- Raw materials are then processed into finished goods (batteries) at plants that burn fossil fuels. This is undeniable.
4- Finished goods (batteries) are then transported to electric car plants via trucks, trains, & ships that burn fossil fuels. This is undeniable.
5- Plants that make electric cars burn fossil fuels, rely upon materials made from fossil fuels, and require transportation of their finished goods via trucks, trains, & ships that burn fossil fuels. This is undeniable.
6- Distributors (dealerships, etc) rely upon transporting these new electric vehicles to their final detinations using trucks, trains, & ships that again burn fossil fuels, so that they can be charged and recharged by consumers on electric grids that also burn fossil fuels. This is undeniable.
7- Electric cars do NOTHING to reduce the amount of fossil fuel consumption. This is undeniable.
8- If someone really wants to reduce the carbon footprint of their chosen transportaion device (car, motorcycle, bike, etc.) then they would never buy another new one (regardless of power source), they would repair and reuse what they already have. This is undeniable.
9- Rant over. This is undeniable.
200.gif

Reactions: SoCalGlide
I think the biggest challenge is storage, as said above.

Looks like better batteries are coming. If these are everything they are proposed to be it'll be a game changer. It's Goodenough...

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...-making-better-batteries-for-electrification/
"More recently, they have developed a niobium tungsten oxide material that makes a fast-charging anode. The way it all comes together means that the niobium creates tunnel structures within the anode, allowing the lithium to pass into the body of the material much more quickly. “This allows really fast charging with only a very small amount of volume expansion,” Ribas says. That means quick recharges, no safety issues and no lifetime-limiting mechanical degradation with each recharge."