My first TJ and need some help

Dennis Vaccaro

About a month ago I did a straight up trade, my 7.3 Ford truck for a '97 TJ, after I saw how jeeps in general just float around the sand at Carolina beach.
It has about 92k miles right now, its a 4.0 with 5 speed, and no rust (which was a big deal for me being from NJ originally. )

This is pretty much stock, its on 245s right now that are at about 30% life right now except for the front left. I think theres a 2 - 2.5 lift on there now.
I want to go with 33x12.5x15s but I'm stuck between getting a new 4 in lift, or, if possible get spacers and new fenders to accommodate 33s
I attached a picture below
Thanks for any feedback!

thumbnail_IMG_5198.jpg

Welcome aboard! So, measure your springs, on flat ground, and unloaded. Measure just the spring without the isolator, 12" front and 8" rear is stock. Anything over is lift. Ideally you need 3.5 to 4" of lift for 33's and proper bump stops.

I'm running 33's using a 2" lift (2.5 actual) and 1.25 Body Lift with bump stops (Giving me about 3.75" in Rob's sweet spot). It's a pretty common set up and has low center of gravity. The body lift is pretty cheap so if you already have 2.5" of lift you can probably get up to 33's pretty easily.

Reactions: JMT
About a month ago I did a straight up trade, my 7.3 Ford truck for a '97 TJ, after I saw how jeeps in general just float around the sand at Carolina beach.
It has about 92k miles right now, its a 4.0 with 5 speed, and no rust (which was a big deal for me being from NJ originally. )

This is pretty much stock, its on 245s right now that are at about 30% life right now except for the front left. I think theres a 2 - 2.5 lift on there now.
I want to go with 33x12.5x15s but I'm stuck between getting a new 4 in lift, or, if possible get spacers and new fenders to accommodate 33s
I attached a picture below
Thanks for any feedback!

To fit 33s comfortably you can either go one of three routes:

1) Keep the 2" lift and get some tube fenders (i.e. Metalcoak).
2) Keep the stock fenders and get a 4" lift.
3) Keep the 2" lift and add a 1.25" body lift and a 1/2" coil spring spacer, for a total of 3.5" lift combined.

Any of those approaches will fit 33s just fine, though you'll still need to set the bump stop correctly (which you'd have to do anyways).

I recommend reading this thread if you haven't already:
A Beginners Guide to Lifting Your Jeep Wrangler TJ

damn I wish I thought if that, thanks! would you recommend upgrading the clutch and swapping gears as well? probably new drive shaft?
Generally 33's will need a gear swap. Do you know what gear ratio you have now? There is probably a metal tag on the diff covers that will have the ratio imprinted on it. The clutch is fine as long as it is good working order. You only need a new drive shaft if installing a slip yoke eliminator.

Reactions: Dennis Vaccaro
I'm running 33's using a 2" lift (2.5 actual) and 1.25 Body Lift with bump stops (Giving me about 3.75" in Rob's sweet spot). It's a pretty common set up and has low center of gravity. The body lift is pretty cheap so if you already have 2.5" of lift you can probably get up to 33's pretty easily.
nice I just found a thread that said the same thing I'm thinking thats the route I'm going to take. Good news considering the amount of $ I thought id have to shell out

Good advice in the above posts. As @Chris mentioned, you have several options. I’d do what @Rob5589 suggested and measure my true lift. If you are in the 2.25-2.75” range I would personally do a 1.25” Body Lift. It has many advantages, though some folks hate them. They are really only hated when they are greater than 1.25”. The main advantage of a small body lift is it sets you up for a Tummy Tuck. My .02c!;)

Reactions: FTI76