My grandpa never had a license either

Part of it that sucks is he wasn't doing anything else wrong.
He was "spotted by a traffic camera that's part of an expanding network, which identified it (the car) as "being operated without proper documents."

That's some big brother BS right there.

He was "spotted by a traffic camera that's part of an expanding network, which identified it (the car) as "being operated without proper documents."

I agree, don't like that one bit.

I realize it's in the UK, but having that in NY or CA wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Hey, maybe we should have an expanding camera network in voting precincts that can identify voters as voting without proper documents....

I remember when my great grandma took her drivers education class and passed, she was a widow and 90 at the time.
she immigrated to the US from Latvia during the war and from what I gathered gramps was old school and refused to let her drive as "women are too stupid to drive." state revoked the license 3 years after they issued it due to a minor accident determined she was at fault for the collision. she wasn't slow and old by any means though, fully alert until organs started shutting down a few years after (which was unsettling to see occur).

kicker is though it was really essentially the city's fault for the accident.
the city owned a rental home on a corner which the plantings were obstructing the line of sight for oncoming traffic at a corner intersection. basically had to be out in the road to see if theres any traffic coming. and the city also has regulations on blocking line of sight.. but they omit themselves from the regulations of course.

Reactions: R49 and mrjp
Memories of My Grandpa-

He was 2/3 the size of grandma.

Smoked camels , started at about 12.

School was not a problem, he never went I think.

Rolled his own some too. Not weed, Prince Albert.

Hated Nixon. Like in 1997, still cussed him.

Loved to fish.

Started drinking again in in his mid 40’s. Hard.

I still remember him threatening to shoot uncle Jimmy. Oh the love.

Painted houses.

Not sure he ever had a bank account.

Died, had 40 Acres- all the kids (my dad, aunt and uncles) fight over how to divide it for 5-6 years ( we obviously are not good at math)

Here is what makes me grin-and this is how people miss opportunities because they are so focused on their own interest:

Eventually it sells for like 200k, and the guy sells the hardwood timber off for like 200k, then I think he subdivided it and got another 300k for it.

I’m like - are yall happy now?

Memories of My Grandpa-

He was 2/3 the size of grandma.

Smoked camels , started at about 12.

School was not a problem, he never went I think.

Rolled his own some too. Not weed, Prince Albert.

Hated Nixon. Like in 1997, still cussed him.

Loved to fish.

Started drinking again in in his mid 40’s. Hard.

I still remember him threatening to shoot uncle Jimmy. Oh the love.

Painted houses.

Not sure he ever had a bank account.

Died, had 40 Acres- all the kids (my dad, aunt and uncles) fight over how to divide it for 5-6 years ( we obviously are not good at math)

Here is what makes me grin-and this is how people miss opportunities because they are so focused on their own interest:

Eventually it sells for like 200k, and the guy sells the hardwood timber off for like 200k, then I think he subdivided it and got another 300k for it.

I’m like - are yall happy now?
Great grandpa was into pipe tobacco, racing cars and arguing.. from what I’ve been told.

The two sons he had liked to stir the pot in the family and fight over money. The daughter (my grandmother) kept herself out of it.

It was interesting seeing how much arguing and fighting there was after death on the uncles side of the family. I seen people coming to “clean the estate” I had no idea who they were nor the friends they invited to come take what they wanted. Realistically there was nothing of value there but they were arguing over petty stuff like who gets the Correll plates and copper plated cooking pans. Stupid shit.

In the end from what I was told my side via my grandmother got enough money from the estate to make sure great grandmas burial was processed correctly, but the other side even argued over that. Absolutely insane how much money can break up a family.

Reactions: Blondie70

So I guess that since they pulled him over instead of sending a ticket through the mail, that the police are manning the cameras but this story still leads to at least a couple questions:

Did the car have license plates? Driving 72 yrs without then doesn't sound feasible.

What other proper documents are needed to drive something in the U.K.?

Whatever they are, how did the camera find out about those other documents and cause him to be pulled over?

I guess it could be possible that this is the first time he got caught driving with expired plates, but I still question government in general.

Really don't know. I know my grandpa paid for his ates because that was how they collected the taxes. Wasn't much tax on an old AMC Hornet with a 3 on the tree.

So I guess that since they pulled him over instead of sending a ticket through the mail, that the police are manning the cameras but this story still leads to at least a couple questions:

Did the car have license plates? Driving 72 yrs without then doesn't sound feasible.

What other proper documents are needed to drive something in the U.K.?

Whatever they are, how did the camera find out about those other documents and cause him to be pulled over?

I guess it could be possible that this is the first time he got caught driving with expired plates, but I still question government in general.
We have Automatic Number Plate Recognition cameras all over the place. They link to the Police National Computer which can check if the car has insurance, if the annual tax has been paid (we don’t pay annually for registration but it comes to the same thing) and, if the car is over 3 years old, whether the annual MOT inspection has been carried out.

Cars which are untaxed can be seized and sold or scrapped, too, without warning…

• Wow
Reactions: Blondie70 and Mhass
Great grandpa was into pipe tobacco, racing cars and arguing.. from what I’ve been told.

The two sons he had liked to stir the pot in the family and fight over money. The daughter (my grandmother) kept herself out of it.

It was interesting seeing how much arguing and fighting there was after death on the uncles side of the family. I seen people coming to “clean the estate” I had no idea who they were nor the friends they invited to come take what they wanted. Realistically there was nothing of value there but they were arguing over petty stuff like who gets the Correll plates and copper plated cooking pans. Stupid shit.

In the end from what I was told my side via my grandmother got enough money from the estate to make sure great grandmas burial was processed correctly, but the other side even argued over that. Absolutely insane how much money can break up a family.
Man that is so typical. Normal people are the ones we just don’t know very well.

Here is a common scenario- 4 siblings, ranging 58- 70 and mom is like 90 and becomes bedridden and basically needs a full time nurse, but no one is gonna cough up the money or agree on anything.

So, the one child that has the time (usually because they worked the hardest and managed their life well) steps up, moves in or moves her in and gives it all they got.

This then frees up the other 3 to criticize the job they are doing.

I’ve yet to see this end well.

Reactions: 03coloradowrangler