My house is on fire

My neighbor four doors down lost his entire home to a fire he created by trying to start his dads Harley. Wouldn't start, so he dumped a tiny bit of gas in the carb, the bike backfired, and with all the chemicals and shit in his garage, he lost everything. Fire was so intense, there were cans of spray paint (or whatever) cooking off and landing 30-40 feet away. for like 30 minutes. Easter Day 2020.
I almost cried for him. His garage is attached. Mine isn't, but is full of so much chemicals, paint, fuel, etc, that now I'm paranoid and very cautious. If that shit don't scare you, your a cold fish indeed. My detached garage is probably full of similar shit...
Almost a year later and he's still not in the new, rebuilt place. The real big change, he added a detached garage to the new place...
My house is very weird, but in the most reassuring way in terms of fire. The garage is attached, but is made of stacked granite on all 4 walls with a roof (that is my back porch) made of a 6" concrete slab.

I have told my wife that in the event of a tornado, we are all heading in to the garage. It also keeps me from worrying all that much about the enormous pile of various flammable liquids in there.

Reactions: tombicon
I've finally got an electrician lined up, I called a bunch only one called back.

The guy had done some work for some people we know. When he called we told him the story. Then after we told him where we live he said I did some work for your Dad years ago switching from glass fuses to circuit breakers.

Really small world, he can't start for a couple more weeks but I'm just glad I got someone.

I've finally got an electrician lined up, I called a bunch only one called back.

The guy had done some work for some people we know. When he called we told him the story. Then after we told him where we live he said I did some work for your Dad years ago switching from glass fuses to circuit breakers.

Really small world, he can't start for a couple more weeks but I'm just glad I got someone.

Glad you finally got some to come out. Anything Construction related up here is insane right now. My mom is trying to get work done on her roof. She has called about 15 different guys and only got 1-3 call backs. Best of luck

I'm glad it was relatively minor.

I worked with a guy that built a new house. They moved in and two weeks later it burned down. Someone had driven a nail through the wiring and the fire started after turning on the right switch for the first time.

They had their old house on the market, so they took it off and moved back in without any stuff. Then rebuilt the new house, and moved in a second time.