My Jeep broke down, now it won't run or idle

Justemptyeverypocket

Possible Maniac
Supporting Member
Hey all my tj suddenly wont run or idle it was fine last night and when i went to start it tho6s morning its cranked for a long time and then finally fired but when it id it wouldn't idle i had keep the gas pressed in or it would die i finally got it to idle after a struggle but it was idleing at 100rpm and would dieif it tryed to put it in gear any ideas as too what this could be?

20200309_075408.jpg

Hey all my tj suddenly wont run or idle it was fine last night and when i went to start it tho6s morning its cranked for a long time and then finally fired but when it id it wouldn't idle i had keep the gas pressed in or it would die i finally got it to idle after a struggle but it was idleing at 100rpm and would dieif it tryed to put it in gear any ideas as too what this could be?

View attachment 145074
Sounds like no or low fuel pressure.
I would hook up an in line gauge to troubleshoot, unless you have a Schrader valve.

I filled the tank last night and it was running fine before then maybe i got some bad fuel?
Your pump probably puked. Maybe even the fuse, but unlikely. Rent a fuel pressure tester from advance, or buy your own. Somewhere on this forum should be a run down on the steps you wanna take for fuel pressure. It’s something like, prime the fuel by putting the key “on” without starting it - 49psi. This is probably where your loss in pressure is. Running - also 49psi. That’s gonna be fun with a full tank

Your pump probably puked. Maybe even the fuse, but unlikely. Rent a fuel pressure tester from advance, or buy your own. Somewhere on this forum should be a run down on the steps you wanna take for fuel pressure. It’s something like, prime the fuel by putting the key “on” without starting it - 49psi. This is probably where your loss in pressure is. Running - also 49psi. That’s gonna be fun with a full tank
Yeah it is lol not looking forward to this at all maybe ill syphon thengas into my xj

Yeah it is lol not looking forward to this at all maybe ill syphon thengas into my xj
That’s what I’d do. First time doing my fuel pump I had, unknown to me because my sending unit wasn’t accurate, about half a tank. I had to do the fuel pump again 7 months later and made sure it was damn near empty. I also cleaned it this time around which is key

Chances are with 173k on your Jeep, that pump has been replaced before. I’d go with a Delphi unit, which is what I used both times. Yes I got 7 months out of one, but from what I gather, they’re the best option for our Jeeps as the OEM Isn’t as easily found. Unless you have an 05-06, I think there’s still some of those around.

Reactions: Chris
Its got fuel pressure when i got home from work i started trouble shooting i found that i canget it to idle and idle fine until i put it in any gear then it spudders and dies

What is the fuel pressure though? It's very possible it may be too low.

Had a very similar experience today but after 5 sec of throttle at ~1000 rpms it idled fine.
I’ll be watching this thread. I’ve got 180k on the odometer and a full pump might be on the horizon.

I left my lights on for a hour. I had to jump it but if we took the cables off it would die in gear. We hooked them up for 20 minutes and all was well. I tested the battery and alt and they are good still. It just needed a bit

I left my lights on for a hour. I had to jump it but if we took the cables off it would die in gear. We hooked them up for 20 minutes and all was well. I tested the battery and alt and they are good still. It just needed a bit
Yeah my battery might be toast i drove it 10 miles and its still dieingat stops