My Jeep has an unfixable issue

Mason Schmidt

Supporting Member
Hey guys hows it going? I know its Saturday and yall probably busy jeepin. So don't wanna be a bother, but I'm having an issue with my Jeep that seems to be unfixable lol... I'll try to explain it best I can starting out with what led up to this and what has all been done to try an fix it... A long time back I accidentally sunk it in a pretty bad mud hole. I ended up with water in side cab or whatever you would call it. And mud in every little crack and crevice😭... Several hours later my transmission started to slip.

Than driving around 65 it ran fine until heavier acceleration and it would rev up to 4,500-5,000 rpms. I was quite convinced my transmission was toast forsure... A new transmission later and she no longer slips!... But it still revs up like crazy and unless handled very carefully she won't run over 70 with out screaming up to 5k rpms. The bottom end as well has an issue. An example here it may sound ridiculous but I drove it up against one of are trees. Up on acceleration she'll rev up to bout 2,000 rpms and that's it. Like its being governed or something funky.

Same thing at the beach I've nearly gotten stuck because she just runs at a low rpms... Hope that explaining makes since. As far as what's been done to try an fix it. Is a New Transmission,O2 sensors, Spark plugs, Injectors been checked over and are fine, new tv cable, tv cable set by an actual mechanic and not me. Its wierd if I disconnect the tv cable I can run 75 no problem.

But the shifts are horrible and still has no bottom end... I had a local mechanic go over the whole thing completely. And he couldn't figure it out. He said fuel pressure was fine and everything. His thought ws my tires was to big. But it ran fine before the mud hole inncident... I have a 2000 Wrangler ,Automatic transmission, 4.0L, 33 in tires, 4in lift and stock differential.... I hope all that makes since or my explaining was clear enough. Its just fusterating my mechanical knowledge is pretty terrible.

Some of the things may sound a bit ridiculous or unnecessary to replace but I ws just trying to find solutions... The only thing that I can think of is maybe a fuel filter🤷‍♂️ But if its gettin good fuel pressure would that mean its fine? And not associated with the issue.. I probably shouldn't be flexing my ignorance🙈... Any help would be Extremely appreciated. Its been a very Depressing situation!!! Thanks for any type of feedback. Yall have a wonderful weekend✌...

I'll defer to the experts, but does this sound like the PCM? Were they an issue for the early TJ's? Just providing options.

Reactions: Mason Schmidt
Start with the simplest thing to check, the transmission's ATF level. Too low of an ATF level will cause it to slip.

Check the ATF level while the engine is RUNNING and the transmission in NEUTRAL. If it is low be sure to only add ATF+4 to bring it up to the full line. No other type of ATF is correct. If the bottle doesn't say ATF+4 in big letters on the front it's the wrong stuff.

The ATF level must be up to the full line. And make sure the transmission is in neutral and the engine is running while you check the ATF level. If it's not the dipstick will erroneously indicate there's more ATF than is really there.

Thanks for quick responses...
The new transmission came with a torque converter. That's something the mechanic had mentioned. But it seemed a little odd beings it was doing the samething previous to the new torque converter. I hate the thought of it being something associated with the torque converter 🤢....

As far as the ATF level it's at an appropriate level. And has been topped off with still the same results of running cranky.. I'm hoping it is something simple like that,tho🙏🏼🤞

If the new transmission was installed with a new torque converter (at the same time) and the problems were before that, the torque converter probably isn't the problem.

Questions:

Is the new transmission a new transmission, a rebuilt transmission or a used but new-to-you transmission?

Are you sure ATF+4 was in there to begin with? The answer to the first question can change the chances of this answer being yes.

Did the cooler and lines get cleaned out?

Is the she won't run over 70 with out screaming up to 5k rpms due to it downshifting?

If you disconnect the TV cable and that fixes your problems it's probably either not adjusted right, it may be defective or the parts that it moves inside the transmission are bad. I imagine there could be other things I'm not thinking about.

Hopefully some answers from you can get you some more help here.

It also sounds like you need a better local mechanic.

Thanks for quick responses...
The new transmission came with a torque converter. That's something the mechanic had mentioned. But it seemed a little odd beings it was doing the samething previous to the new torque converter. I hate the thought of it being something associated with the torque converter 🤢....

As far as the ATF level it's at an appropriate level. And has been topped off with still the same results of running cranky.. I'm hoping it is something simple like that,tho🙏🏼🤞
So it's all the way to and touching the full line with the transmission in Neutral and engine running? It can slip just being a little low.

I purchased a rebuilt transmission from Powertrain.... As far as transmission fluid. Yes! There was some fluid in the transmission when they delivered it. Could it be maybe they put something else in other than ATF+4? It was fresh transmission fluid...
As far as the TV cable I replaced it thinking I most likely messed my other one up somehow much to my dismay it never changed a thing...
The cooler lines got flushed and a new radiator was installed. Was mandatory for Warranty purposes...

Yes! You hit the nail on the head. It's like it downshifts or something....

🤣🤣 🤷‍♂️ Maybe so...

You say the transmission had "some fluid" in it when delivered. Have you actually verified the ATF level is touching the full line on the dipstick while the engine is running and while in Neutral?

By the way your Profile says "Automatic AX-15". Your automatic is actually the 32RH, an AX-15 is a 5-speed manual transmission.

I don't mean to be a bother but I was wondering if there may be any other ideas on what may be wrong with my jeep. I know my explaining is pretty poor. But heres a picture of how deep it was in the mud. Ever since its ran wierd... Could it be a sensor of some sort or the solenoid. I never changed it.🤷‍♂️...

Screenshot_20200831-135251_WhatsApp.jpg

Shoot, that's not deep at all!

It sounds like a torque converter to me, or the wrong fluid. I had a car, mistubishi eclipse, once that would flare RPM on shifts if I didn't have actual Mitsubishi Motors ATF in it. I would do a flush and fluid change first, then start looking at the rebuilt transmission. Sometimes, those rebuilds are not great...

Its wierd if I disconnect the tv cable I can run 75 no problem.

So that indicates that the transmission is most likely just fine, as is the torque converter. I would check the Throttle Valve cable to make sure it has smooth operation (paying attention that is does not bind on return) and just because a "mechanic' set it does not mean it is correct. If the cable has smooth operation both in and out of the sheath then you might just want to verify the adjustment.

You might find that there is some debris in the cable assembly causing it to operate erratically,

Here is my off the wall think outside the box thought. Any chance there is mud (hard dried dirt by now) partially blocking the exhaust? This would reduce power although I'm not sure about the high RPMs. Just brainstorming here...be gentle on me.

Reactions: TJ Ben
Here is my off the wall think outside the box thought. Any chance there is mud (hard dried dirt by now) partially blocking the exhaust? This would reduce power although I'm not sure about the high RPMs. Just brainstorming here...be gentle on me.
Now that you mentioned the muffler being clogged, that makes sense to me since I’ve had that happen to me a long time ago not in a Jeep but it killed the power for sure.
Good luck.

Hey thanks a bunch!!!! I really appreciate y'all takin the time to say offer some help....
😂😂😂 Okay that's good to hear that its not that deep! Considering some of things y'all have put em thru lol... I was stuck there for bout 15 mins til I got winches out. About the transmission Yes! I am a little worried maybe this one isn't just the best Re-build...
I'll look into that about the transmission fluid first. Like John mentioned I'll maybe try a different mechanic with that all. Unfortunately it feels like this may be a bit over my head. Just was hoping to get it figured out with out another trip to mechanic shop😭💸...