My KO2's failed me.

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Ran the grandkids out in the woods this weekend to do a little target practice. When we got to our favorite spot, the ground was torn up and covered in a uniform 6" or so of Oregon snot. The kids in the trucks must have been out playing or something.

Anyway, the KO2's balled up with mud about 3" thick and turned into racing slicks. Oh well, it happens. Even Toyo M/T's do that in this stuff some times. Actually had to drop into 4x to get through it.

Bottom line: KO2's aren't dedicated mud tires.

Ran the grandkids out in the woods this weekend to do a little target practice. When we got to our favorite spot, the ground was torn up and covered in a uniform 6" or so of Oregon snot. The kids in the trucks must have been out playing or something.

Anyway, the KO2's balled up with mud about 3" thick and turned into racing slicks. Oh well, it happens. Even Toyo M/T's do that in this stuff some times. Actually had to drop into 4x to get through it.

Bottom line: KO2's aren't dedicated mud tires.

They never were designed to be. But at least you kept your pride and got your rig thru the goo.

Reactions: StG58
They never were designed to be. But at least you kept your pride and got your rig thru the goo.
Yup, minor display of off road acumen, that went totally unnoticed by my passengers, and we got to the grassy area on the other end of the log landing. Coming out was easy.

I try not to get stuck with the grandkids. They still give me crap about getting the XJ stuck on blow down. We ended up walking out of that one.

Yep, and there is the difference between an A/T and an M/T. You just can't have them both, but in my opinion the A/T is probably the best all around tire for here in the PNW. I used to drive with M/Ts on the street... Never again. They're loud, obnoxious, heavy, and just don't belong on the street.

Yep, and there is the difference between an A/T and an M/T. You just can't have them both, but in my opinion the A/T is probably the best all around tire for here in the PNW. I used to drive with M/Ts on the street... Never again. They're loud, obnoxious, heavy, and just don't belong on the street.
KM2s in my experience are not loud at all. My wrangler MTRs really weren’t either. I had ko2s on another vehicle and I thought they weren’t any quieter than my mudterrains.

True that. Wouldn't it be nice to have a set of quality M/T's on wheels, ready to go. Just for those times and for those places where you know you're going to get into the snot. Hmmm, 31x10.50's aren't horribly expensive... I may have to look into that. For slightly more than a Currie antirock, I may get more use out of a set of mud tires. Something to think about.

Reactions: JMT
True that. Wouldn't it be nice to have a set of quality M/T's on wheels, ready to go. Just for those times and for those places where you know you're going to get into the snot. Hmmm, 31x10.50's aren't horribly expensive... I may have to look into that. For slightly more than a Currie antirock, I may get more use out of a set of mud tires. Something to think about.
Set of 31x10.5 boggers/TSLs for the trail, eh? ;)

Reactions: StG58
KM2s in my experience are not loud at all. My wrangler MTRs really weren’t either. I had ko2s on another vehicle and I thought they weren’t any quieter than my mudterrains.

Wait till you get about 20K of wear on them. Mine are getting obnoxiously loud. Could be that I'm getting older too, and old man syndrome is kicking in.

Hey, the folks in the cold run winter and summer tires, so why not you? Pick up some cheap CL Canyons or Ravines and heck even some of these and save even more coin.
https://www.treadwright.com/collections/mud-terrain-tires

Wait till you get about 20K of wear on them. Mine are getting obnoxiously loud. Could be that I'm getting older too, and old man syndrome is kicking in.

Hey, the folks in the cold run winter and summer tires, so why not you? Pick up some cheap CL Canyons or Ravines and heck even some of these and save even more coin.
The guy I wheel with the most runs the 35" flavor of these. They have worked great off-road, don't know the on-road characteristics of 'em though. He's driven it to MOAB twice on them so I'll ask him one day :).

The guy I wheel with the most runs the 35" flavor of these. They have worked great off-road, don't know the on-road characteristics of 'em though. He's driven it to MOAB twice on them so I'll ask him one day :).

I drove do Moab and back when mine were fairly new, and they weren't terrible. They just get louder as they wear. Nature of the beast.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara

Oh man, If I pick up a set of Ravines...they're going on the KO2's. My grizzlies get the mud tires. Those don't look bad, and the price is certainly right. Thanks!
When I recently looked at tires the KO2's weren't even considered. They have tighter lug spacing than the Cooper ATP's on my Silverado. The Duratracs seemed to be a good balance between an AT and MT.

90% of the time I like my KO2's. It's just once in awhile they just don't work.

It would be nice, my only gripe is that they'd be so damn heavy, and I'd have to build a bigger shed for a place to store them! There's not enough room for 4 of them in the garage.

It would be nice, my only gripe is that they'd be so damn heavy, and I'd have to build a bigger shed for a place to store them! There's not enough room for 4 of them in the garage.
Space is one thing, but the weight is just 2lbs more for the KM2 over the KO2.

Reactions: Chris
There is definitely a noise difference between mud and all terrain tires. I'm running general grabber ATII on my truck and BFG mud terrain on my jeep. The generals are a much better road tire. More stable, more quiet, etc. The BFG's aren't bad, per se, but the AT's are just better...on road. They both have their place.

Reactions: Starrs
There is definitely a noise difference between mud and all terrain tires. I'm running general grabber ATII on my truck and BFG mud terrain on my jeep. The generals are a much better road tire. More stable, more quiet, etc. The BFG's aren't bad, per se, but the AT's are just better...on road. They both have their place.
Very true. The 2 sets of ko2s I went through were a 32” and a 35”. The 35s were on my raptor and they were noticeably louder than the 32s I had on my Grand cherokee. My KM2s are basically brand new with only 1000 miles or so on them, so I get that they will get louder as they age.

I have never had any luck with the K02's well to be fair the old AT's. I have had lots of luck with the km2's to be fair the MT's. I always only ran the MT's street or offroad. Got decent miles out of them. I can never get through a set of the k02 AT's they cup and bubble or dont wear tread evenly even on the rear. I replace them and have gotten at least twice the life plus they self clean better.

It is weird to me to read all of the reviews here that are good, but I am talking different vehicles and same results. I just never had any luck with them. I hate to talk bad because obviously they do better for other people.

I think my next set of tires, I am going to test the Toyo MT's They looked pretty agressive and cool. but I am testing the duratracs now, and I have to say they are pretty awesome so far. I will write a review if that status changes.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
I have never had any luck with the K02's well to be fair the old AT's. I have had lots of luck with the km2's to be fair the MT's. I always only ran the MT's street or offroad. Got decent miles out of them. I can never get through a set of the k02 AT's they cup and bubble or dont wear tread evenly even on the rear. I replace them and have gotten at least twice the life plus they self clean better.

It is weird to me to read all of the reviews here that are good, but I am talking different vehicles and same results. I just never had any luck with them. I hate to talk bad because obviously they do better for other people.

I think my next set of tires, I am going to test the Toyo MT's They looked pretty agressive and cool. but I am testing the duratracs now, and I have to say they are pretty awesome so far. I will write a review if that status changes.
If I were to try another tire I would have to go with the duratrac. It has MT aggressive looks and I have not heard 1 bad thing about them. KM2s are obviously still my number 1 choice...but the duratracs look mighty good to me also.

Reactions: MultiMotive and ac_
If I were to try another tire I would have to go with the duratrac. It has MT aggressive looks and I have not heard 1 bad thing about them. KM2s are obviously still my number 1 choice...but the duratracs look mighty good to me also.
It was a toss up for me too when I bought them, and decided that the KM2's changed, so maybe it was time for me to change too. haha