My new to me 04 Rubicon

WhiteRubi

I just bought this 2004 Rubicon and i am really excited to play with it. It'll be a secondary vehicle so don't have to drive everyday. It is a 5spd and it has i believe 3.5" Rubicon Express lift but not positive. Any info or help would be appreciated. It has 285/75 /16 tires and wondering if 305/70/16s would fit?
61e3db0b9889b1c4ea636691fbdda304.jpg
a21300f0ee727b38e187e662c468d39b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

The only difference in those tire sizes is the 305 tire is a little over 1/2" wider than the 285. The only problem you could run into is a little rubbing at full turn, but that's easily corrected with a washer or two.

Untitled-4.png

Last edited:
Wow, very clean Rubicon, excellent choice!

I suggest checking out the FAQ sub-forum, as it contains answers to some of the most commonly asked questions in regards to these vehicles.

Welcome to the party neighbor. Beautiful jeep. How many miles and what does the belly look like. Reason I ask, is us Wrangler owners in the rust belt need too take a few extra precautions. If you intend on running at all in our winters/ even keeping parked outside, you are going to want to give the underside some love first thing.

Welcome to the party neighbor. Beautiful jeep. How many miles and what does the belly look like. Reason I ask, is us Wrangler owners in the rust belt need too take a few extra precautions. If you intend on running at all in our winters/ even keeping parked outside, you are going to want to give the underside some love first thing.
It has 82000 miles. It's a 1 owner jeep and the underneath was clean has some scale but nothing bad . I already had it oil sprayed so I'm hoping it will be good.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Most members around here living in the "rust belt" use something called Fluid Film to protect against rust. I would do a search and get information on that product.

Reactions: Mon0cle
Most members around here living in the "rust belt" use something called Fluid Film to protect against rust. I would do a search and get information on that product.
X2, That's where I was going with that. Keep an eye on this front fenders as far as rust goes. That seem to be one of the first things aside from the frame/ undercarriage in general. Unless you know for a fact it's already been done, jump on all your fluids ( differentials, transfer case, brake, coolant....) Your going to find all the write-ups you need within the Forum. It's nice to know that routine maintenance stuff is taken care of before you start spending the big bucks on the toys.

Nice jeep. I'm a bit north of you, in Grand Rapids, MI. Watch the rust. Mine is a secondary vehicle too, so Its going to get parked in the winter. I've already had new fenders put on, and this winter will be addressing some frame spots with POR. Welcome!

Wow that 04 looks well kept.
I 2nd the Fluid film suggestion, easy to use , inexpensive and it lasts.
I get it from Amazon by the case.

Reactions: Chris
Welcome to the forum! I bought the twin to yours a couple of years ago, but not quite as clean. Rubicon Express 3.5 lift, but mine had 3" coil spacers on top of that! Driving on the road was interesting to say the least. Once I had someone look at it who knew what they were doing, the spacers were removed and all was well. I think the spacers were put in to accommodate the 315/75/16 tires that were on it (and still are). The washers should work, but I chose to add 1.25" wheel spacers on mine. Works great.
58d65776dd4400addfc0709661153dac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My favorite color TJ. Welcome, and nice rig. I'd stick with the narrower tire. Better road manners and less flinging of debris along the side of your jeep.

Welcome to the forum! I bought the twin to yours a couple of years ago, but not quite as clean. Rubicon Express 3.5 lift, but mine had 3" coil spacers on top of that! Driving on the road was interesting to say the least. Once I had someone look at it who knew what they were doing, the spacers were removed and all was well. I think the spacers were put in to accommodate the 315/75/16 tires that were on it (and still are). The washers should work, but I chose to add 1.25" wheel spacers on mine. Works great.
View attachment 24609

Beautiful TJ! Looks absolutely perfect too. I love the stock Moab wheels, that's why I kept mine on my Rubicon.

Beautiful TJ! Looks absolutely perfect too. I love the stock Moab wheels, that's why I kept mine on my Rubicon.

Thanks, Chris! I really like its stance and the Moab wheels as well. The only issue is the relative lack of tire choices for those 16" wheels.

Thanks, Chris! I really like its stance and the Moab wheels as well. The only issue is the relative lack of tire choices for those 16" wheels.

Yep, tire choices for 16" wheels are slim, plus they are all load range 'E' which is too stiff for the TJ. Most people, including myself, will switch to 15" wheels once the tires need replacing.

After selling the 16" wheels, you will be at about even if swapping to 15" aftermarket wheels and load range 'C' tires.

Reactions: Chris and Van