My peeves with the TJ

I'm sure I'm going to get some backlash from some people, but here's my opinion. I love the TJ, but here are my issues. TJ's with the 4.0. Tj's with a stick shift. TJ's with the full doors. TJ's without the fog lights. TJ's with side steps. JMO you can roast me if you want. But that is my prefect TJ. Please be nice lol

I'm sure I'm going to get some backlash from some people, but here's my opinion. I love the TJ, but here are my issues. TJ's with the 4.0. Tj's with a stick shift. TJ's with the full doors. TJ's without the fog lights. TJ's with side steps. JMO you can roast me if you want. But that is my prefect TJ. Please be nice lol

My peeve is the under hood lights just aren't bright enough. Neither of mine work anyway.

These sound more like gripes with specific options not necessarily the platform itself.

I'm pretty sure all fog lights on cars in 1997 were pointless compared to lighting options today. Half doors and automatic transmissions have their place, and 4 cylinder TJs were the cheapest convertible you could buy back in the day. I'll always prefer the 4.0L, but I'd take a 2.5L TJ over some other vehicles.

These sound more like gripes with specific options not necessarily the platform itself.

I'm pretty sure all fog lights on cars in 1997 were pointless compared to lighting options today. Half doors and automatic transmissions have their place, and 4 cylinder TJs were the cheapest convertible you could buy back in the day. I'll always prefer the 4.0L, but I'd take a 2.5L TJ over some other vehicles.

You couldn't give me a normal convertible car. I'd look at it ask why someone ruined a perfectly good car by cutting the roof off of it.

I'm sure I'm going to get some backlash from some people, but here's my opinion. I love the TJ, but here are my issues. TJ's without the 4.0. Tj's without a stick shift. TJ's without the full doors (the zip up ones look like shit sorry). TJ's with the fog lights (they don't really do shit). TJ's with side steps (They cause rust on the frame). JMO you can roast me if you want. But that is my prefect TJ. Please be nice lol

If that's all your upset about, buy any other vehicle and post up your issues with it. Report back.

Reactions: Head Lice
I think you should sell it/them. 😉

Get a GM retractable. I have one on two of my TJ's. Easy fix...

I use a cordless magnetic version with no issues.

1654715826885.png

I think you should sell it/them. 😉

Get a GM retractable. I have one on two of my TJ's. Easy fix...

I use a cordless magnetic version with no issues.

View attachment 335775

I think you both should do more maintenance in your garage, instead of working under the hood, at night. I've never once wanted an underhood light...Especially in the jeep, where you can just flop the hood back against the windshield.

• Haha
Reactions: Apparition and JMT
I think you both should do more maintenance in your garage, instead of working under the hood, at night. I've never once wanted an underhood light...Especially in the jeep, where you can just flop the hood back against the windshield.

Yeah, you can tell @Irun does that, his is always so dirty 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: SAWB and Irun

Garage if full of the other project. Hood is removed.

Reactions: Mike_H

My under hood light is only for use on the trail.

Yes, and I've driven more TJ's with half doors than most on here.

Absolutely they are life changing. I can't think of a more perfect product or appliance that sucks at what it is supposed to do as much as half doors do. So yes, they take something simple and basic that the entire rest of the automotive world has figured out, then they fuck it all up so it changes your life to just miserable if happen to be one of those who places a modicum of value on things working properly and continuing to work properly.

I've grown to dislike the 1/2 doors. They are good for one thing and one thing only, running down the highway, when the weather is decent. Where I live it rains regularly and I have to carry soft uppers, for this very reason. The uppers absolutely suck. Visibility is horrible, they are a pain to unzip, never seem to seal correctly, and are noisy. Now I just run full doors year round and ordered a set of aluminum trail doors. Due to the wet trails I run, trails doors are mandatory. If not, you're covered in clay mud or coal swap water! :cautious:

I am slowly coming around to a similar realization. I love how they look with the soft top, esp without windows .. I never put my full doors/hard top back after the 2020 winter season, since I wanted to see how the half doors/slider windows combo would work in this Oregon weather. I have had no major problems (leaks and such), but I have been contemplating putting my full doors on, since summer is almost here and I will start taking my usual hiking/camping trips again. I did buy the bestop sliders early on, since the zipper front windows were just a pain in every sense. Without them I would have gone back to the full doors a long time ago.

I don't really miss the hard top, though many of passengers in my jeep aren't a fan of the flapping noises at hwy speeds . I think if I get new replacement fabric it will get much better. I sold my hard top locally since I needed the space but in retrospect I should have kept it.

I am SO looking forward to putting the top down or atleast taking the soft windows out for local drives - we have had a very wet spring and I am hoping we have seen the last of the rains (though there is a bit of rain predicted this weekend again 😅).

Reactions: Irun
I am slowly coming around to a similar realization. I love how they look with the soft top, esp without windows .. I never put my full doors/hard top back after the 2020 winter season, since I wanted to see how the half doors/slider windows combo would work in this Oregon weather. I have had no major problems (leaks and such), but I have been contemplating putting my full doors on, since summer is almost here and I will start taking my usual hiking/camping trips again. I did buy the bestop sliders early on, since the zipper front windows were just a pain in every sense. Without them I would have gone back to the full doors a long time ago.

I don't really miss the hard top, though many of passengers in my jeep aren't a fan of the flapping noises at hwy speeds . I think if I get new replacement fabric it will get much better. I sold my hard top locally since I needed the space but in retrospect I should have kept it.

I am SO looking forward to putting the top down or atleast taking the soft windows out for local drives - we have had a very wet spring and I am hoping we have seen the last of the rains (though there is a bit of rain predicted this weekend again 😅).

I have a set of zip down soft windows, sliding glass soft windows, and hard uppers with sliding glass. They all share the exact same issue, i.e. visibility absolutely sucks. That said, I do like the look of the half doors without windows. However, since the majority of my time in either Jeep is commuting to work, being able to roll up the windows and turn on the A/C, during traffic and warm weather, has now become a priority. I didn't think this would be the case, but I enjoy driving the Jeeps just as much with full doors as half doors.

I have a set of zip down soft windows, sliding glass soft windows, and hard uppers with sliding glass. They all share the exact same issue, i.e. visibility absolutely sucks. That said, I do like the look of the half doors without windows. However, since the majority of my time in either Jeep is commuting to work, being able to roll up the windows and turn on the A/C, during traffic and warm weather, has now become a priority. I didn't think this would be the case, but I enjoy driving the Jeeps just as much with full doors as half doors.

I did not think the visibility was bad with the soft windows with sliding glass. What bothers me on long hwy drives is the added noise that is transmitted. No issues with AC/heat for me, probably because they are still relatively new and fit well.

TJs look fantastic with half doors without windows, but I have come to equally like the look with soft top and full doors. Hard top/full doors looks great on stock rigs, but lifted rigs - esp TJs- hard top starts looking funny imo.

I generally pull the uppers and toss them in the back.