My plan for replacing the power steering pump and steering gear box

Jmac00

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
my power steering gear box input bearing is looser than my first wife, and the pump leaks, so here is my plan? and should the front wheels be off the ground when I do this??

1) take the belt off the pully
2) remove the fluid from the power steering pump.
3) cut the lines to the gear box and drain the rest of the fluid out
while thats draining
4) remove the pitman arm from the gear box, leave the ball joint in place
5) take the bolt out from the steering rod connector
6) remove the 3 mounting bolts and slide the gear box off the steer rod connector ( while balanced on a floor jack )
7) remove the pump and old hoses
the pump and ger box are going back for the core charge
8) Install the new pump with a new pully all ready installed
NOW: should I install the new hoses ( with the little O-rings ) to the gear box before installing the gear box, or install the new hoses to the pump before installing that and let them hang from the pump until I get the gear box on the connector and then put the hoses on the GB and then bolt the GB in place?
9) re-install the pitman arm
10) lock down the steering rod connector,
11) fill the pump with fluid ~~~how much fluid? is 2 quarts enough, or should I get three? or four
12) start the wobbly jalopy and go full turns left and right until the proper fluid level is reached? with the wheels on or off the ground??

does that sound like a decent plan? I have never attempted this before, but Im putting all new stuff in, so removing and cutting all the old stuff ain't no thing?

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Don't start the engine until after you have bled all the air out of the steering system. Starting the engine first will cause the PS system pump to cavitate which can damage it. Fully cycle the steering 20 times first, then you can start the engine. :)

Reactions: Jmac00
I would install the PS hoses to the steering gear first. Then connect at the top after you have everything installed. Just make note of the angle of the hoses on your old steering gear so you can replace the new ones in roughly the same spot.

HELP!!!

ok I got almost everything removed/replaced, I got the pinion arm off, I was about to remove the steering gear box, but the steering shaft connector

20230706_114918.jpg

20230706_114618.jpg
? doesn't have a bolt through it, I thought it might be a Allen bolt, but it seems to be a spring pin or something?

any idea on what I should do here??

HELP!!!

ok I got almost everything removed/replaced, I got the pinion arm off, I was about to remove the steering gear box, but the steering shaft connector

View attachment 438857

View attachment 438859? doesn't have a bolt through it, I thought it might be a Allen bolt, but it seems to be a spring pin or something?

any idea on what I should do here??

I Just replaced my steering shaft a couple days ago. That is not what you're supposed to be removing. Look closer to where the shaft meets the gearbox in the front of the jeep. It is very tucked away behind the front grill but if you rotate the steering shaft just right you can see the bolt that you need to remove through the 2nd or 3rd grill line. You might also be able to see it from underneath if you crawl under.

• Wow
Reactions: SoCalTJ and Jmac00
I Just replaced my steering shaft a couple days ago. That is not what you're supposed to be removing. Look closer to where the shaft meets the gearbox in the front of the jeep. It is very tucked away behind the front grill but if you rotate the steering shaft just right you can see the bolt that you need to remove through the 2nd or 3rd grill line. You might also be able to see it from underneath if you crawl under.

well, its probably a good thing I didn't start beating the crap out it, :unsure::p is it a 8mm/ ⅜ or what ??

well, its probably a good thing I didn't start beating the crap out it, :unsure::p is it a 8mm/ ⅜ or what ??

I think mine was a 1/2" or 5/8" but I don't really remember exactly. The steering shaft is notched so it only fits on 1 way. Once you get that bottom bolt out at the top of the gearbox side the shaft up towards the steering wheel through that bracket that supports it in the center. It may take soe wiggling to slip it off the gear box.

Reactions: SoCalTJ and Jmac00
I think mine was a 1/2" or 5/8" but I don't really remember exactly. The steering shaft is notched so it only fits on 1 way. Once you get that bottom bolt out at the top of the gearbox side the shaft up towards the steering wheel through that bracket that supports it in the center. It may take soe wiggling to slip it off the gear box.

thank you very much, tally-ho

ok, ONE MORE question, the high pressure hose came with a small O-ring and a larger white O-ring, where does the white one go??

It's to big for the flange where the little blue one went, but it slides right over the rest of the fitting??? WTF?

never mind, its fixed

Last edited: