My radiator cracked. What's a good replacement?

4 banger TJ

TJ Enthusiast
My radiator cracked today. I've seen a hundred different brands ranging from $70-$800. I need some help making the right choice.

I have a 97', 2.5l, 5spd manual if that makes any difference.

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mopar. Oh wait, did I mention Mopar?

Mopar.

I'll say that one more time... Mopar.

Take my word, there is NO BETTER RADIATOR REPLACEMENT THAN MOPAR :)

• Haha
Reactions: chad and Squatch
So if you had an auto trans and you bought the cheaper manual radiator, and used a separate trans cooler on your auto trans - you could use the manual radiator instead of the auto one?

Im not quite sure. I have a passive auto trans cooler. But no, I don’t think so the heat will be too much, you need the radiator to cool it down and the extra cooler to reduce that

So if you had an auto trans and you bought the cheaper manual radiator, and used a separate trans cooler on your auto trans - you could use the manual radiator instead of the auto one?
Don't. Go with a Mopar made for an automatic.

Everybody seems to agree that Mopar is the only way to go, which appear to cost in excess of $260 on moparfactoryparts.com. You can get a similarly constructed CSF radiator from rockauto.com for $77. I've used CSF in a few different applications and they have worked as intended. YMMV.

Ok, there are 5 different OEM radiators, what ones are what?

1582040690606.jpg

I was in the same boat. Didn't want to spend the money on Mopar parts so I didn't. The half as much new after market radiator only lasted a year. When it failed I happened to have a parts/project Jeep in the garage so in a pinch I threw that radiator in to my DD. Long story short... a 20 year old Mopar radiator was a better option than the new aftermarket radiator.

Two things I've learned on this site are when you're told to get a Mopar radiator you do it and when you're told to get your wheels re-balanced you do that too.

It is easy to replace radiators for TJ.
I don't mind going for Autozone ($100) and replace it again in 5 years just in time to do coolant flush.

I don't mind going for Autozone ($100) and replace it again in 5 years just in time to do coolant flush.

Until it fails on a trip or on the trails. I like trusting my parts, not wondering when it will fail next.

Duralast from Autozone is junk and radiators seldom give warning of impending doom. If you are convinced it won't blow/fail anywhere but within a quarter mile of your garage by all means buy your radiator and other critical components from Autozone.

Only place a Duralast part belongs is in the garbage. Never had good luck with any of their stuff, including radiators.

Reactions: Jamesval035