My ride for the next few weeks

Nimbley

TJ Enthusiast
I’m doing a job in Dallas for the next few weeks and have rented...
35AE4806-4773-480C-BA3C-A436C92ECD6A.jpeg
a brand new Sahara Unlimited. Less than 1000 miles on the clock. This thing is loaded. Power everything. Backup camera, power sliding top, XM radio, auto climate control, leather interior. I have to admit it’s pretty damn nice. Runs like a bat out of hell. My only complaint it’s it doesn’t feel like a Jeep. More like my ex wife’s loaded Durango. I can definitely see the appeal to someone wanting an SUV that stands out. I love the sliding top. I’m hoping to get some time to find some trails this weekend. I’ll be reporting back as I get to know it. I haven’t figured out how to recline the drivers seat yet so if anyone knows how I’d love some input.

Looks great in black..... I think if I don't think of it as a Jeep and as more of an SUV I'd feel better about it haha.

What does the rental agreement say about offroad trails ? haha

Reactions: Nimbley
As long as I don’t leave any visible damage it’s all good. Hopefully the big storm coming tonight doesn’t leave hail dents. It’s all insured anyway so I’m not too worried.

Tell ya, they’re starting to grow on me. Certainly look nicer than the JKU, in my opinion. Really like the lighting on the fenders too. Noticed that the tailgate hinges look much more stout than previous iterations as well. The ONE THING I really cannot stand is, push button start! Knowing a couple people who’ve had their vehicles stolen due to the feature, I can’t get behind it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jamesval035
Tell ya, they’re starting to grow on me. Certainly look nicer than the JKU, in my opinion. Really like the lighting on the fenders too. Noticed that the tailgate hinges look much more stout than previous iterations as well. The ONE THING I really cannot stand is, push button start! Knowing a couple people who’ve had their vehicles stolen due to the feature, I can’t get behind it.

Yep. Push button start and it shuts off at stop lights. Both annoying but the auto shut off/start can be disabled.

Reactions: fourpointzero
What’s funny is that many of the car magazines named the JL “SUV of the year”.

I’ll bet that pisses off the real Jeep enthusiasts.

Thing is, no matter how much I can appreciate any of the JL’s, I refuse to pay the asking price. Sadly, unless I move to FL within the next 2 years, I’ll eventually own a used JKU. Because inevitably the NE will corrode and destroy my TJ if I daily it all year. And I miss driving it 365. Yah, everything eventually ‘dies’ or falls apart, but because of all the time I’ve put into my TJ, and it’s proven reliability, plus simplicity; it’s become one of my most personal valuable assets lol [emoji854] I’d like to keep it as long as humanly possible.

Reactions: TJ Starting
The ONE THING I really cannot stand is, push button start! Knowing a couple people who’ve had their vehicles stolen due to the feature, I can’t get behind it.

I'm trying to figure out how a vehicle could be stolen because of push button start. Do you know the specifics? I had push button start in my Infiniti years ago and did like it. I'll admit it does sound right in a Jeep but it is a convenient feature.

Yep. Push button start and it shuts off at stop lights. Both annoying but the auto shut off/start can be disabled.

Push button start really annoys me everytime I have to travel and rent a car. Where the hell am I supposed to put my keys while I'm driving??? Cupholder? Center console? My pocket?
<Parks and gets out of the car>
Oh shit, I left the keys in the fucking cupholder... I think.

If only there was a way to have a designated receptacle for my vehicle's key...

Push button start really annoys me everytime I have to travel and rent a car. Where the hell am I supposed to put my keys while I'm driving??? Cupholder? Center console? My pocket?
<Parks and gets out of the car>
Oh shit, I left the keys in the fucking cupholder... I think.

If only there was a way to have a designated receptacle for my vehicle's key...
Place key in pocket and don't look back. Most of these enable the doors to be unlocked automatically once the door handle is grabbed and key is on person. Get in, start vehicle and go on your way. When exiting, open door(s), then push the button on the door panel to lock all the doors, close door(s). Key never has to leave your pocket.

Place key in pocket and don't look back. Most of these enable the doors to be unlocked automatically once the door handle is grabbed and key is on person. Get in, start vehicle and go on your way. When exiting, open door(s), then push the button on the door panel to lock all the doors, close door(s). Key never has to leave your pocket.

So that is a solid plan if one owns a vehicle and can come up with their own repeatable system. Problem is that when I travel and rent a car friggin' Avis has to put THREE of these things on one huge unbreakable lanyard. Some of these ridiculous "keys" are like half the size of an iPhone. I don't wear skinny jeans by any stretch, but there's no way I can function with 27 cubic inches of bulging rental keys in my pocket.

Problem is that when I travel and rent a car friggin' Avis has to put THREE of these things on one huge unbreakable lanyard.
The first think I do is cut the cable and only carry one key. I use a zip tie to put them back together when I return the car. I also travel with a pressure gauge and let the tires down to about 28-30 psi. The cars always have the tires inflated to max load pressure and makes the car ride like shit.

The first think I do is cut the cable and only carry one key.

Sticking it to the man, I like it! I bet you go in the "15 items or less" self checkout lane with 20 items all the time.

I have never once thought about doing anything to improve the ride on my shitbox rentals. Sometimes you just have to have something to rage at.