My Rubicon as a toad behind our motorhome has an issue.

BendLarry

TJ Addict
Last spring shortly after buying the Jeep we towed it from central Oregon to Moab Utah. I have a proper tow bar setup that is level with the motor home and has a supplemental brake set up.

Now to the issue. 3 times during this trip we were in a parking lot turning hard, driving slow and the Jeeps front tires decided not to follow the coach. I would have to jump out, start the Jeep, straighten the tires, and then get on with the drive. It’s not a good thing to be dragging your toad!

I have done some research and I have found little on the forums about a problem like this. The only info I have found makes me think it may a castor issue. The Jeep came with a 5 inch lift and I have no idea if it was realigned after the lift install.

I have an appointment Wednesday to have the alignment checked. It steers straight and the tires are wearing evenly.

Any input on this would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When driving (not being towed), do the front wheels return to center (straight) on their own after a turn without your input on the steering wheel?

I'll bet with that big lift, your caster not being ideal, and those bigger 17" wheels, the combination is adding to the problem. I thought you were going to lower that puppy?

I'll bet with that big lift, your caster not being ideal, and those bigger 17" wheels, the combination is adding to the problem. I thought you were going to lower that puppy?

The wheels are the stock 16 inch Rubicon Moab’s. I still plan to lower it, but I’m still learning what that will involve.

I haven't had this problem toading mine, but I try not to turn super tight if I can help it. Sorry, not much help.

Reactions: BendLarry
Last spring shortly after buying the Jeep we towed it from central Oregon to Moab Utah. I have a proper tow bar setup that is level with the motor home and has a supplemental brake set up.

Now to the issue. 3 times during this trip we were in a parking lot turning hard, driving slow and the Jeeps front tires decided not to follow the coach. I would have to jump out, start the Jeep, straighten the tires, and then get on with the drive. It’s not a good thing to be dragging your toad!

I have done some research and I have found little on the forums about a problem like this. The only info I have found makes me think it may a castor issue. The Jeep came with a 5 inch lift and I have no idea if it was realigned after the lift install.

I have an appointment Wednesday to have the alignment checked. It steers straight and the tires are wearing evenly.

Any input on this would be appreciated.

If you read the post, yes. I say it only happened 3 times over the whole trip. I have removed the locking tab from the ignition actuator so it can never lock.
Pardon me for trying to help you after having read your entire first post several times. You never said that the ignition was unlocked or that you had removed the locking tab until wheyou replied to me.

Pardon me for trying to help after having read your entire post several times. You never said that the ignition was unlocked or that you had removed the locking tab until you replied to me.

That’s correct, BUT I said I was driving slow in a parking lot while turning and THEN it didn’t follow. I guess I needed to say I was driving down the road and turned into a parking lot? The trip was about 1800 miles with all kinds of road conditions and other parking lots, it just randomly happened and only 3 times, no steering lock issue.

I tow my TJ on a regular basis and always lock a key inside with the ignition turn to the unlocked position. I have several friends that claim to have removed the removed the locking tab that have this same issue on occasion. I have learned from their desire to be too lazy to unlock the ignition with a key to not follow in their footsteps.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I tow my TJ on a regular basis and always lock a key inside with the ignition turn to the unlocked position. I have several friends that claim to have removed the removed the locking tab that have this same issue on occasion. I have learned from their desire to be too lazy to unlock the ignition with a key to not follow in their footsteps.

My '04 uses the skim key, so I just got a non-skim key and had it cut for the ignition. Now I use it and don't have to worry about someone driving it away if I leave it in there.

Reactions: Jack Brown

It’s impossible for the ignition to lock with the tab removed. Some guys say they have disabled the lock and all they have done is remove the spring that pushes up the tab into the steering wheel slot. Also... when this happens, I open the door and turn the steering wheel before inserting the key to start it and use the power steering pump. It is NOT a steering lock issue.

A little more info. I can simulate the issue in my driveway. If I turn the wheel hard in either direction and then pull the coach forward, sometimes it tracks and sometimes it doesn’t. It never is a steering lock issue. It’s easy to rule out. With the window down reach in and turn the wheel. If it was locked it would take a key to unlock lt. Again , with the tab removed there is nothing that can fit into the slot in the steering wheel shaft, making it impossible to lock up.

In other threads I discussed removing the steering lock tab. The reason that is the best solution for me is because when I tow it I have the soft top on it. I didn’t want to have a key in the ignition to temp some dummy when there was a better solution.

Reactions: CodaMan
I think we can agree that it's not the steering locking, yes? That leads to the tire size and lift in proportion to the tow bar separation to the coach. You mentioned that the tow bar is pretty much level to the jeep, so that shouldn't be a factor. What kind of turning radius are you expecting to achieve? I put piece of tape on the top of the steering wheel so I can see if the wheel is turning in my rear view

Reactions: lowranger
I think we can agree that it's not the steering locking, yes? That leads to the tire size and lift in proportion to the tow bar separation to the coach. You mentioned that the tow bar is pretty much level to the jeep, so that shouldn't be a factor. What kind of turning radius are you expecting to achieve? I put piece of tape on the top of the steering wheel so I can see if the wheel is turning in my rear view

I don’t know how to answer your question. I just expect the Jeep to follow a 30 foot coach in normal turning situations. In all the RV forums I frequent, I have never heard anyone say there were turning radius limitations. I do wonder if the length of my tow bar and combined supplemental brake AND the receiver drop/ raise in my case, is too long causing the issue. I could remove the brake which would shorten the total length by about 16 inches and see if there is a change. Wednesday I will see what the alignment shop says and then if alignment isn’t the issue, I will try shortening the total length of the tow bar and it’s other components and go from there. I haven’t measured the total length of my setup but it’s longer than anything I have seen.
e10668c63d653608de34aa34069fa561.jpg

Just returned from the alignment shop. Everything but the castor is within specs. The castor is very low due to the 5 inch lift and it's effect on the axle geometry. It takes a castor kit to change the castor specs. I told the alignment tech that I was planning on lowering the Jeep and he felt that my castor numbers would improve with the lowering. He also didn't think the castor being out of spec would cause my towing issue, but he couldn't say that with certainty. I'm now going to shorten my total tow bar length by removing the ReadyBrake which adds about 16 inches to the length to see if there is any change. Next update the next time I hook up the Jeep.