My surgery update

So I got some stuff explained to me today. I was told the reason I'm in pain, not allowed to eat, and why this is taking forever.

Unlike other organs in your body the bowel is a independent machine unlike other body parts that can be turned on and off like a heart or your lungs the bowels decide whether to work or not.

My bowels didn't like having my dead appendix pulled off, scraped and the water used on it.

When I was full of gas so the bowels didn't like being squeezed by that outside pressure. There is no on or off switch so until my bowels are ready to work I'm stuck waiting. Talk to text hope it makes sense.

So I got some stuff explained to me today. I was told the reason I'm in pain, not allowed to eat, and why this is taking forever.

Unlike other organs in your body the bowel is a independent machine unlike other body parts that can be turned on and off like a heart or your lungs the bowels decide whether to work or not.

My bowels didn't like having my dead appendix pulled off, scraped and the water used on it.

When I was full of gas so the bowels didn't like being squeezed by that outside pressure. There is no on or off switch so until my bowels are ready to work I'm stuck waiting. Talk to text hope it makes sense.

Damn your Bowels.... Get over it and start working again.

Someone here wants to eat...

Reactions: mrjp and reddvltj
Holy crap!! This reads like a horror story. I've had surgery pain from some pretty bad knee injuries but it pales in comparison to what you've described.

Hang in there and let us know if there is anything we can do.

Do you need a "go fund me" set up?

Yep to help pay for that first meal....

Holy crap!! This reads like a horror story. I've had surgery pain from some pretty bad knee injuries but it pales in comparison to what you've described.

Hang in there and let us know if there is anything we can do.

Do you need a "go fund me" set up?
All of my surgeries are a horror story. That is why unless I'm dying in pain they can leave me alone.

99 percent of the people working here from the top to the bottom have been great. There is always one that has to be an asshole.

Nurse comes in the room is dark. She says can you reach up behind you grab the small string. My reply was no, I have essential hand tremors. Then she tries to had me a thin plastic cup with mouth wash.

She says you going to take this? I said I really would love to but after it covers me and you I'm sure we won't be happy.

Well how do you drink, well I have a weighted sippy cup at home here they give me a coffee cup because it doesn't crush as easy as the thin plastic cup.

Then she says why don't you get the brain surgery? Look at what has happened to me on every other surgery no way.

I think I should get a gold star for not telling her to get F'ed. Oh well let's see what fun shit they have planned for me next.

All of my surgeries are a horror story. That is why unless I'm dying in pain they can leave me alone.

99 percent of the people working here from the top to the bottom have been great. There is always one that has to be an asshole.

Nurse comes in the room is dark. She says can you reach up behind you grab the small string. My reply was no, I have essential hand tremors. Then she tries to had me a thin plastic cup with mouth wash.

She says you going to take this? I said I really would love to but after it covers me and you I'm sure we won't be happy.

Well how do you drink, well I have a weighted sippy cup at home here they give me a coffee cup because it doesn't crush as easy as the thin plastic cup.

Then she says why don't you get the brain surgery? Look at what has happened to me on every other surgery no way.

I think I should get a gold star for not telling her to get F'ed. Oh well let's see what fun shit they have planned for me next.
Did she really say get brain surgery for hand tremors? WTF, I thought nurses were supposed to be compassionate? Hang in there, I know it sucks but better than the alternative. I hope you and your wife make speedy recoveries so you can enjoy the lake house for the 6 weeks of summer you get in Miane!

I hated the damn nurse coming into my room in the dark. I told them that I had PTSD and if they didn't want to get punched they should turn on a light first to wake me up.
The one and only time I was hospitalized for more than a few hours was when I had pneumonia.... Small town hospital that had Candi Stripers.... Yeaahhh... I didn't complain when they came in to check on me....🤠

• Haha
Reactions: Squatch
The one and only time I was hospitalized for more than a few hours was when I had pneumonia.... Small town hospital that had Candi Stripers.... Yeaahhh... I didn't complain when they came in to check on me....🤠
ZZJapmg.gif

I was trying to give him hope!! Maybe even a little chuckle...
Sorry man..... found that gif and been looking for an opportunity.

I've not been in the hospital for longer than overnight after knee surgery so I can't comment on that but I was in PT for a while and the interns there were about the only thing that kept me sane in that medieval torture chamber.

Reactions: reddvltj
I was trying to give him hope!! Maybe even a little chuckle...

OK since we're gunna derail this thread with hospital stories.

I had to have knee surgery while I was stationed in Korea. So I had to go down to Seoul for the surgery. Now I was stationed on a 84 acre camp with 210 guys & 6 women. One of those soldiers was nick named Tank if that gives you any idea what she might have looked like.

So I have only been looking at Korean ladies for 7 months and am now in this hospital with all these VERY pretty nurses. So I wake up from surgery and had to wait for the spinal block to wear off. WOW talk about a strange feeling. And the first thing I did when I woke up was check to make sure my junk was still there since I couldn't feel anything.

The next morning the nurse comes in and tells me the doctors want me to get up and take a shower. So I hobble down to the shower on my crutches and the nurse follows me. Now she was a cute little thing from Coos Bay, OR. No shit really.
She show me how to turn the water on and the emergency cord if I fall or anything. So she leaves and I get undressed and am in the shower trying to not put weight on my right leg. Well I slip and fall and am now laying on my back looking at the emergency button. So I hit it and she comes running into the shower. Now I was 29 at this time so you can guess what happened next.

She is smiling at me and laughs and says "Well nice to see I could get you UP now would you like some help getting up?" I about die and turn 5 shades of RED....
The next day when it's time for me to get discharged she gives me her phone number and address back in Coos Bay. She is getting out in 2 months and tells me to contact her when I get back. So I spent a week in OR when I got back from Korea...

That's my BEST hospital story...

I can’t say I know what you’re going through, but I stood by my younger sister while she went through 2 pancreatic cancer surgeries, 1 kidney cancer surgery, and 1 thyroid cancer surgery.

They were all extremely difficult and painful, and she’s a tough gal, but when she’d run low on strength, she’d add the power of her faith to help her pull through.

She beat all those cancers, been cancer free for 5+ years.

When you’re feeling a little short on strength, look inside, find that little bit of faith. It’s there, and it’ll help pull you through.

You got this brother, we’re all with ya.

OMG I just found this thread, I'm hoping you're gaining some real ground on this. You're certainly hanging in there already without having to be told to do so, but continue hanging in there man. Having never experienced anything even close to what you're going through I can only say I'm pulling for you to get better and out of that effing hospital real soon! You're definitely hanging tough, continue doing so! 💪🙏

I've been watching videos of my grandson who just turned 3 riding his bike, and playing on his bounce house. That is the only thing keeping me from totally losing it.

Hey I can have one whole ounce of water per hour. I'm living a better life then a POW in Japan during world war two. So I got that, at least my sarcasm survives.

I've been watching videos of my grandson who just turned 3 riding his bike, and playing on his bounce house. That is the only thing keeping me from totally losing it.

Hey I can have one whole ounce of water per hour. I'm living a better life then a POW in Japan during world war two. So I got that, at least my sarcasm survives.
Grandkids are a wonderful reason to stay strong. I know a few years back I was having so much pain for a lone period :cry:
it is hard sometimes to keep a positive attitude. At times you just feel like, ok I can't take this much longer and it's easy to fall down that rabbit hole of I am done. Please keep in mind those Grandkids, for those us lucky enough to have them we know they are more fun and loving than even your own kids :). That's what kept me going along with a loving wife that did everything needed.

Everyone on this forum has you in there thoughts and prayers. 🙏

Stay strong my friend, trust me there is light at the end of the tunnel. 👍