My TJ runs over 210 on hot days. Is it time for a new radiator?

MikeO

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My 4.0 auto 98 wrangler runs at the desired 210° most of the year, but when the outdoor temperature approaches 100° it bumps up to 213°. The radiator was flushed about 2 years ago. Please advise. Thanks.

IF you flushed your radiator two years ago... it may be time to have it chemically cleaned/flushed and look at replacing the thermostat.
Verify the radiator fins are not partially plugged.
That's what I did and went from an OH condition sitting in a parking lot (@102 OAT) to solid 210 on the gage. Since the radiator was out, I did replace the pump and all hoses as well.

Reactions: MikeO
When mine was reading a little over 210 I replaced the sender. It went down to a little under 210 in the same conditions. Which sender is correct?

For what it's worth, the factory gauge should read slightly over 210 (about 220) on very, very hot days.

Of course consider that that gauge isn't a very accurate way to measure temp.

It may show 3 degrees different but the gauge could be reading 3 or so degrees higher or lower than reality to begin with and that's probably within the margin of error. I'm sure it gets hot in NV but I'd be more worried about rattlesnakes until the needle got past the whole number
210 /.
....../
..../

Last edited:
Reactions: Ephry73
It’s not un-common for me to see slightly over 210 at idle, sometimes I’ll turn the a/c off to keep it down.

My cooling system was completely replaced 2 years ago.

I'm interested in this. My 97 Sahara automatic runs at 210 but goes higher on a hot day when idling in traffic. Will overheat & check gauges light comes on if I run the AC while idling as well.

I'm interested in this. My 97 Sahara automatic runs at 210 but goes higher on a hot day when idling in traffic. Will overheat & check gauges light comes on if I run the AC while idling as well.

Sounds like a failing fan clutch.

That little amount over 210, estimating 213, in hot conditions should be considered normal. I wouldn't worry about it. Make sure though that your fan clutch is operating, that's what turns the fan on when the engine is hot. With the engine hot, check that the fan is very stiff and difficult to rotate by hand. If the fan spins freely when the engine is hot that means the engine can't spin it fast enough which can cause the engine to run warmer. If the fan spins freely when the engine's hot, replace the fan clutch.

Are there separate sensors for the gauge and ECU? I've seen documentation showing one in the side of the block and it also appears that there is one near the thermostat.

Are there separate sensors for the gauge and ECU? I've seen documentation showing one in the side of the block and it also appears that there is one near the thermostat.
The temperature gauge uses the coolant temperature sensor mounted next to the radiator hose connected to the engine head at the front of the engine.

Mine runs very close to 210, per gauge, regardless of ambient temp or driving conditions, a little less in cool/winter (PA). I checked goose neck temp, at sensor, with IR thermometer and dash gauge is spot on.

That little amount over 210, estimating 213, in hot conditions should be considered normal. I wouldn't worry about it. Make sure though that your fan clutch is operating, that's what turns the fan on when the engine is hot. With the engine hot, check that the fan is very stiff and difficult to rotate by hand. If the fan spins freely when the engine is hot that means the engine can't spin it fast enough which can cause the engine to run warmer. If the fan spins freely when the engine's hot, replace the fan clutch.
I get somewhat of the same issue. I checked today after it ran for a solid 30 minutes. I was able to spin it pretty freely, not a whole ton of resistance. But if I gave it a push to spin on its own, it’d only make about anywhere between an 1/8 - 1/4 of a full turn. It’s never been replaced as far as I could tell, or my water pump. Mopar radiator last summer, head gasket this past winter.

Not to thread jack, but could my fan clutch be an issue?

Mine used to run a little below 210. Recently it had been running a little above 210, no matter the weather. I replaced the radiator as preventative maintenance (simply because it was 17 years old) and now my temps are back below 210. The old radiator fins were not terribly clean - there was a thin layer of mud I never could seem to get off so I attribute the difference to that.

Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis