Mystery wires on top of dashboard (or at least a mystery to me)

jdgmbi1

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So I changed out my HVAC heater controls, and resister (that was fun), and ran across these 2 sets of wire that didn't seem to have a home. I assume they are for an add-on of something but have no idea as to what-Thoughts?

Thanks. Below are photos of the wires.

20210123_141522.jpg

20210123_154634.jpg

Aw! So the temp and compass were integrated with the review mirror I assume? Not sure how you would run that if you had a soft top.

So, footwell lights are still a mystery. Thanks for the other.

Not sure how different it is compared to 97-02 models, but the only bundle of two wires I can think of coming from the footwell is either the footwell lights or the door switch (not sure the actual term, the switch the tells you if the door is open or not)

Yeah, I have both of those, and they are hooked up and working.

Thanks for the thought. They might just be, "What the heck" add these wires.

I found the mirror in the service manual, but I can't seem to find anything about installing/uninstalling so I'm not sure how the wiring was routed. My guess though would be it just went through the plastic bezel across the top and down the a pillar... so yes, you could do it with a soft top.

1611598379372.png

How wide is this mirror? Compared to the stock? I'm glad I found this thread!! I was just thinking the stocker is super small...well, bigger than the one in the M151 I drove in the Army..lololol

So hopefully my 05 Rubicon has that harness already...

Yes 03's and new have that lead on top of the dash. If you want to install the mirror they are a dime a dozen in bone yards BUT. finding the wiring between the mirror and the factory lead on the dash is discontinues. Tracking the wiring is not an issue. What stops me from installing it is a can't located the plug that fits into the factory coupler and I will not jack in to factory wiring for anything. I hate PO (previous owners) butcher a nice unit when it buy something so you can bet your life i won't butchery mine. Wish I could find that short wire or where I could find that plug

Yes 03's and new have that lead on top of the dash. If you want to install the mirror they are a dime a dozen in bone yards BUT. finding the wiring between the mirror and the factory lead on the dash is discontinues. Tracking the wiring is not an issue. What stops me from installing it is a can't located the plug that fits into the factory coupler and I will not jack in to factory wiring for anything. I hate PO (previous owners) butcher a nice unit when it buy something so you can bet your life i won't butchery mine. Wish I could find that short wire or where I could find that plug
Kind of pricey but seems like what youre looking for:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=303858396583

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Thanks so much, high priced but guess I will purchase it
You could always get additional wire from your local hardware store, chop the existing harness, and extend it. I didn't have the harness under the dash so I built my own using the how-to guide on this forum. With the harness, I can't imagine it costing you more than $10 in wire + 20 minutes of soldering.

You are so right, again, I am kinda nitty but I can't just cut that plug off and soldier extension wiring on top it. I just hate butchering a factory original piece.

On my 06 the wire feeds through the plastic trim at the top of the screen/windshield, they are nice to have with compass temp and additional down lights but for the money you would be better off getting a mirror with reversing cam and clock as well as temp compass.

mir1.jpg

Mir2.jpg

How wide is this mirror? Compared to the stock? I'm glad I found this thread!! I was just thinking the stocker is super small...well, bigger than the one in the M151 I drove in the Army..lololol

So hopefully my 05 Rubicon has that harness already...
I would think it would be there given its a Rubi else the harness would have had to go in after the optional mirror was fitted in the factory, bit like the front fog lights, not allowed on Oz exports but harness is still under the hood with plugs on.

Reactions: mastergunnera8
The
So I changed out my HVAC heater controls, and resister (that was fun), and ran across these 2 sets of wire that didn't seem to have a home. I assume they are for an add-on of something but have no idea as to what-Thoughts?

Thanks. Below are photos of the wires.

View attachment 220917

View attachment 220918
Bottom ones could be rear demister wires cut off if its a soft top and harness to wiper/ demister is not in the back section?

I trimmed down a connector for a lipo 6s battery pack. Works great.

Reactions: LONGJP2