National throwout bearing quality is poor

03coloradowrangler

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
For those of you looking at purchasing a National throwout bearing in the future or determining which brand you want to purchase, this is shit quality control at the finest... If your running National already, thats fine and dandy.. but this is crap to me, its not even fully assembled.

National Bearing has some major quality control problems. I had ordered a replacement throwout bearing online and it arrived shrink-wrapped over a paper wrapping inside the sealed box, so factory sealed. upon removing the plastic and paper I was presented with this type of quality control....
21DEA30F-236A-4D76-84E7-E4E79DFA0423.jpeg

3B5F09B6-1BFB-48F9-B97F-6F6392E9C357.jpeg

It somehow made it through manufacturing and packaging without full assembly or being rejected at any point. cant say that I will be looking to buy from national in the future. it will be dropped off at shipping center for full refund. ordered a mopar replacement instead.

• Wow
Reactions: Farmergreg
That is terrible. I used a National but it was solid, smooth and fit the retainer much better than the LuK kit bearing.

Reactions: P man
The part that gets me the most is that it was still let loose from the factory in that manner.
I dropped the part off at ups this morning. Mopar should be here by the 18th. just trying to rush the little odds and ends before I put on about 3k miles one week in august. and being that ive already had a expensive month prior with my beater truck, im just picking and choosing oem/aftermarket parts to wrap up the TJ.

ive had problems with timken bearings a few times in the past and generally avoid them on my own accord. im not saying they are poor quality but I think they have gone down hill from what they were. honestly though I dont think theres much of a choice for quality parts out there to choose from anyways.

I have had good luck with Timken throw out bearings...

View attachment 264429

Mine fell apart as soon as I got it out of the package.

When I was changing my tob, I had to reorder them 4 times, before I said fuck it and went with included plastic luk.
2 from national, 2 from timken. Week of waiting down the drain.

Factory defects happen all the time, and they all go on market, nothing's gets thrown away. Grade A sells for a full price and goes to a market that values it's reputation. Grade B and C sells accordingly, and very likely that grade D goes directly to 3rd world country only.
Issue happens when a cheeky distributer, thinks that he is the smartest fuck of them all, purchases grade D parts and misrepresents their condition.
Go on Amazon and read reviews, many ended up with factory defects, regardless of brand. Sometimes they change 1 star negative reviews to 5 star negative review.

I went with the plastic luk when I did my clutch but I suspect it is likely partially to blame for the creaky clicky noises coming from inside. additionally I heard the typical clutch bearing squeak that stopped when applying pressure to the pedal, I just havent worked up the energy to pull the trans again.

im aware of factory defects getting shipped out under other names, ive heard stories of suppliers for Chrysler. grade a goes to oem, grade a/b went to dealer parts counters and c went off to the highest bidder.

I just used the Luk. Lots of reviews said go with National. 🤷‍♂️

For those of you looking at purchasing a National throwout bearing in the future or determining which brand you want to purchase, this is shit quality control at the finest.
They also cause Cancer and stop you from having babies in California.🤫
CALIFORNIA WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm.

Last edited: