Need advice on fixing this paint

DropTopDon

TJ Enthusiast
IMG-8320.jpg
IMG-8319.JPG

Painting a pair of half doors to match my TJ. The passenger side door I took my time on and it looks amazing. I started to race with daylight and ideal temperature though so my driver side door (in the pictures) I rushed a little bit on. As you can see that was not a good idea. The paint looks thin in some areas, and I haven't applied any clearcoat to it in hopes of saving it. Anyone have any tips on what I should do? I have about 3/4 can left of silver paint.

View attachment 316021 View attachment 316020
Painting a pair of half doors to match my TJ. The passenger side door I took my time on and it looks amazing. I started to race with daylight and ideal temperature though so my driver side door (in the pictures) I rushed a little bit on. As you can see that was not a good idea. The paint looks thin in some areas, and I haven't applied any clearcoat to it in hopes of saving it. Anyone have any tips on what I should do? I have about 3/4 can left of silver paint.

Silver paint can be a challenge, a lot of painters will do a mist coat to avoid tiger stripes or mottling of the paint. If you google spray painting silver paint and how to avoid tiger stripes you will find a lot of information that will help you. You will need to sand back lightly to the base silver and do another coat before the clear. I had the same issues on a 2003 dodge ram 3500 dually I was painting the box on. The mist coat made for a much cleaner and even paint job.

Reactions: Fouledplugs and -T.
The great thing with paint is you can always sand and start fresh. The only thing I would add to the previous response would be to watch videos on spraying techniques in general. You can see in your pics where you stopped a pass with your spray can midway across the door. Try starting to spray off to the side of the door to start. Then make a full pass across the door without stopping until you are off the door again on the other side. And try to keep a steady speed as you go across. Also, multiple light coats will generally turn out smoother than a single heavy coat. I get impatient and make this mistake all. the. time. Good luck!

220 and recoat , over lap each coat , spray it wet and flat if able

Reactions: Hopper
- Do not work in direct sunlight- you may be getting premature flashing

This is a perfect example of why a 50% overlap is suggested for beginner refinishers. One slower coat left to right then coat up and down.
The fog coat isn't a bad idea as long as it's getting light wet sanded and clear coat.

Reactions: AndyG
I used ratchet straps to hang mine from garage door supports. It made it much easier to paint. C5A0A0DA-2B7E-49C3-B925-CB2959C7E2EE.jpeg

I spent the last two days working in painting other items. I did my bumper but couldn’t hang it, I see where it made it more challenging, as well as not as good of a spray.