Need advice on front end noise

mrjp

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
This is my first jeep and need some help on this noise in the front end. Both tires off the ground. When I spin one tire slow they both turn and no noise when I spin one tire fast only one turns and this noise happens. The P.O. said that the noise is just the locker in front but did not know what kind. Hopefully the video link works
Forgot to mention 2003 TJ Sport

Thats a good question I don't know. I have heard that the lunchbox locker will make noise but dam this is loud.

Sounds like an old school Detroit locker. Remove the cover and inspect.

My lunchbox locker sounds just like that, similar to a detroit so I guess that is an option as well.
Yeah, the newer versions are much quieter. To OP, watch this short video on how a speed sensing (Automatic) locker works.

Reactions: mrjp
Okay I got some more garage time and pulled the front diff cover. The noise is defiantly from the locker but just what kind is it.

More importantly I'd say it looks like it's working just fine. If the oil was clean you're good to go.

The oil was black but no grit or metal it is hard to tell when it was changed last. It also does seem to be working good. It's nice to know what's installed

Reactions: pagrey