Need advice on purchasing a 97 TJ

Trevor17

I found a 97 TJ with 300,000 miles on the body the motor has 100,000 and new transmission. It has a soft top everything works on it as it should. What would be a good price to offer?

WOW! a lot of miles. What engine and transmission? What part of the country is it from? Tire make and condition? What brand soft top? What type of doors are on it.

My initial reaction would be to leave it be. There are a lot of way lower mileage TJ's out there.

Reactions: Chris and StG58
Where are you at, what condition is it in and what options does it have? Rust? No rust? More details please...

X2.

We need pictures and way more details than what you gave us.

Most importantly, we need to see photos of the frame, and or any rust.

Reactions: StG58
I am in Missouri but the Jeep is rust free everything is powder coated underneath. It is the se 2.5 5 speed manual. Only thing it needs is a heater core, driver door handle, and one zipper is stuck on the black on the top but the top still comes down. Not sure of the make of tire but they are close to new. And it has full hard doors.

X2.

We need pictures and way more details than what you gave us.

Most importantly, we need to see photos of the frame, and or any rust.
If it's cheap enough and in good enough shape, it might make a good beater or trail rig project. We just can't tell yet.

how much are they asking? not sure how a frame could be powder coated unless it was new or they removed the body and all? Highly unlikely for one of these. $1500.....maybe????

how much are they asking? not sure how a frame could be powder coated unless it was new or they removed the body and all? Highly unlikely for one of these. $1500.....maybe????
Probably not powder coated. That AX-5 transmission is going to need some love. So, ya, $1,500. $2,000 tops. It has potential, for the right price.

I don’t have any pictures of it yet but will be getting some soon. I have seen it a few times because I know the guy that’s wanting to sell it. Are the SE 2.5 4 cyclinders any good and how many miles will the motor last?

I don’t have any pictures of it yet but will be getting some soon. I have seen it a few times because I know the guy that’s wanting to sell it. Are the SE 2.5 4 cyclinders any good and how many miles will the motor last?
I LOVE my 2.5. They are great little engines within their limitations. If taken care of (!) they will go 200,000 - 300,000 miles easily.

At the price he's asking, I have to assume it's a real beater / project. Like @StG58 said, offer him $1500. At least that way you could always get your money back, even if it was just in parts alone.

My advice would be not to buy this if you are intending on it being a daily driver, because chances are it's going to need a lot of work and maintenance to get there.

If properly maintained, the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder engines are some of the most reliable engines ever made. But at the price they are asking, my bet is this one is going to need some serious TLC. If it was clean and well kept, it would go for at least $7000.

It would be a second vehicle and yes I could do the repairs. The seats and everything are in good condition not sure of the brand but it does have a aftermarket front bumper.