Need assist with disconnecting connector from tail light

Gaspaszr

Trying to remove guard from tail light but struggling to separate the connector. Can’t remove guard without disconnect from harness, to pass wires through. What is the “trick?
Photos accompanying. Thanks

28259476-60D8-4A9B-A1F1-4CA1F2A6EBEC.jpeg

EBF43A70-64D4-40C2-AF82-4B30AD273AC4.jpeg

Theres a large-ish tab on the other side of the connector that is in the center of the picture. Press that down and give it a good amount of force. If you have someone to assist or you dont mind wedging the taillight assembly on the tailgate, you could remove the taillight and guard and pull the harness out until the connector is outside of the body, it will be much easier that way.

EDIT: the closer I look at the photo, I think the second connector on the left side of the picture might be a quick splice connector for a third brake light harness, such as a 4-pin one for a trailer. I had one of those which had to be cut off to remove the taillights. If that is a 3rd light harness, and it is quick-connected to the taillight pigtail, it will have to be cut off to fully remove the tail light. If it is instead spliced into the wiring harness that the taillight connects to, you will be fine.

The connectors on Jeeps can be a real PITA, I've found. Another trick I figured out is to first PUSH the connector together while depressing the tab, then PULL it without releasing the tab. That will sometimes allow the tab to disengage from its catch if that makes any sense...

Reactions: L0jik