Need help choosing an engine

UglyDuck

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Bad knock (see my video in build thread)

Looking at reman options.

S and J top of my list but 14 week lead time. Gross.

Gearhead engines might be second on the list. Anyone have an opinion on them?

Any others worth mentioning?

• Sad
Reactions: RINC
Bad knock (see my video in build thread)

Looking at reman options.

S and J top of my list but 14 week lead time. Gross.

Gearhead engines might be second on the list. Anyone have an opinion on them?

Any others worth mentioning?

got my reman 4.0l direct from the dealership. Mopar warranty and all. ordered on a monday and got it the next day at 8 am.. was back on the road by the next evening.

this was january last year so can’t confirm any lead times but it’s worth a shot.

although if i still lived in AZ i would have done an engine swap.. my style is getting cramped over here in cali

Reactions: Sancho
got my reman 4.0l direct from the dealership. Mopar warranty and all. ordered on a monday and got it the next day at 8 am.. was back on the road by the next evening.

this was january last year so can’t confirm any lead times but it’s worth a shot.

Wow I never even thought of that option lol. Care to share what they get for one of those? Feel free to PM me if you prefer

Wow I never even thought of that option lol. Care to share what they get for one of those? Feel free to PM me if you prefer

back then it was about three hundred more than the 4.0l s&j

i dd my rig so getting the Mopar in a day was worth the cost of not having to wait the 6 weeks i got quoted from s&j

Reactions: UglyDuck
Ordered an engine through Gearhead Engines today.
The invoice says ATK engines…. Sooo… I don’t know what to make of that. I’ve heard good and bad things about that name.
They do have a good warranty though…

Thoughts…anyone…

I put an ATK in mine over 60,000 miles ago. Not had any issues but I did swap out the timing chains and sprockets to Cloyes brand as they seemed more robust than what was on there from ATK. Engine swap was in 2011.

Reactions: UglyDuck
I've heard S&J is worth the wait, and ATK has been good in the past, not sure if they still are.

Whatever you do, steer clear of Jasper. I wouldn't even buy a lawn mower engine from them.

Whatever you do, steer clear of Jasper.

Do you have personal experience with Jasper Engines? I'm not pushing them, I'd have my stuff rebuilt locally, but I also have experience with two engines from Jasper with no issues. One lived fine for about 10 years before the whole truck was scrapped due to rust and other costly needed repairs, and it drove itself to the scrapyard.

Not to be an ass, but it sounds like you already made a choice, so why are you looking for opinions now?

Original post occurred before the order was placed. Guess I could have made that more clear in the last post.

What did it cost you?

FF7C5F20-DDCA-4C92-ABEE-B1740B397DD5.jpeg

I've heard S&J is worth the wait, and ATK has been good in the past, not sure if they still are.

Whatever you do, steer clear of Jasper. I wouldn't even buy a lawn mower engine from them.

S and J was my first pick but 14 weeks… in prime season… 🤬

I put an ATK in mine over 60,000 miles ago. Not had any issues but I did swap out the timing chains and sprockets to Cloyes brand as they seemed more robust than what was on there from ATK. Engine swap was in 2011.

Did you swap that stuff immediately or after some mileage?