Need Help Deciding What to do with Son's Wrecked '01 Wrangler

I get that its easier to just get rid of it all at once. I tend to sell things cheap mainly because I want it out of my garage faster.
That's true, but if the kid was at fault in the accident, putting him to work on Craiglist and such to sell parts may be a good teaching opportunity that solves the inconvenience of selling issue at the same time. Hell, maybe make an agreement that if he makes back x dollars, he can keep above that for himself to use as incentive.

Reactions: danof76
Also consider it may be salvaged
It will not be salvaged unless there is a claim against it, remember the main reason "Salvage" was set up was for an easy way for insurances to be able to pay the least amount of money per automotive claim.

It's probably a good thing it isn't my son. The aspirations wouldn't be optional. You broke it, now you get to part it out and sell it and when you have all the money on one little pile, we'll go put that towards the next one. Might want to get some good walking shoes until that happens. ;)
Actually our son works full time for the Mercedes Dealership and is in training to become a mechanic with them and has completed Basic Training and AIT for the Army National Guard as a Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic. He is only 19 so he is already pretty handy. This was his daily driver, so we are in a pinch as far as getting him back on the road. The accident was his fault, but luckily he was not hurt. We have options, and he paid for this vehicle and will pay for the next one. We pay for his insurance. We are just trying to make sure we/he gets the best deal...this Jeep is everything to him and we hate to just hand it off to someone for not enough money. Thanks for all of the input.

Reactions: Equilibrium31
There is no claim against it. It would not be a salvage title. We paid cash for it, and hold the title, and have only liability. Since this was our son's fault there will be no insurance involved on our end.
Looks like we are going to have it towed home and have him start working on it. Biggest concern for us will be the rear axle issue. Thinking best/easiest for him to replace the entire rear axle, and then deal with the brake lines etc. As far as the body damage, if he can get it going in a fairly straight line we will gradually work on that. He has found a used Toyota Tundra for a good price and that will have to suffice until this one is up and running.

Glad I signed up for this site this morning. Am certain he will be visiting here for help. He is a 19 year old member of the National Guard and working full time in the service department at a Mercedes Dealership in their training program, so he is on his way to being pretty savvy. He had a 1998 Jeep Cherokee before this one and did a ton of work on it himself..just nothing related to the body

Reactions: danof76
There is no claim against it. It would not be a salvage title. We paid cash for it, and hold the title, and have only liability. Since this was our son's fault there will be no insurance involved on our end.
Looks like we are going to have it towed home and have him start working on it. Biggest concern for us will be the rear axle issue. Thinking best/easiest for him to replace the entire rear axle, and then deal with the brake lines etc. As far as the body damage, if he can get it going in a fairly straight line we will gradually work on that. He has found a used Toyota Tundra for a good price and that will have to suffice until this one is up and running.

Glad I signed up for this site this morning. Am certain he will be visiting here for help. He is a 19 year old member of the National Guard and working full time in the service department at a Mercedes Dealership in their training program, so he is on his way to being pretty savvy. He had a 1998 Jeep Cherokee before this one and did a ton of work on it himself..just nothing related to the body

That's good news! Sounds like your son is a pretty good guy, other than the whole getting into an accident thing (just kidding!). Having him work on it sure will help his experience and probably his character too to know he is fixing something he could have avoided. I know you said he didn't do anything to the body on his XJ but at least any other mechanical aspect is the same or similar on the TJ save for the rear suspension.

There's definitely a lot of helpful advice here, it's my number one go-to when I need to find information, no matter how obscure, on the TJ. Between Chris, Blaine, Bransford and all the other members here there's nothing unknown about a TJ!

Smart move...as said above there is a ton of knowledge here. When you get it home post up a bunch of pics of the damage especially the frame and all underneath so we can get a better handle on direction for him.

Good ideal let your son redeem him self and repair the Jeep It will give himself some pride in his work and learn something along the way I shure he wasn’t planning of having a accident but will learn all actions have consequences and sometimes gotta work a little harder to get back where you were. Both my kids boy and girl brought home wrecked cars for their first cars made them be involved in searching parts repair etc. made them realize it’s not always easy but in the end some work pays off

Reactions: John Scoggins
If it is his fault, him being a future mechanic, keep it in the garage and let him learn to take it apart as a weekend project for a month or two. Your job as a dad is to help set-up space and advertise for parts to sell in craigslist. This way, he learns his lesson, he learns how to identify TJ parts, and he earns money from his own sweat. Next time as he grows older, he will value what he owns and more passionate on what he does for living. It's a win-win!

Last edited:
I might have a Dana 35 coming off my ride in a little if you're looking to repair it and get the Jeep back on the road. I know there's also a good amount of TJ parts on CraigsList between you and me (KC area). That also being said, a lot of the parts haven't been moving much on CL the past few month (I constantly keep any eye out for stuff within about a 4 hour radius of me). So remember, if you decide to part out, just because you find comparable for sale online doesn't always mean they're selling.

Just reading through here. To me, IF it is possible, I would let him repair it. Start out getting it drivable, then start working on cosmetics. Think of it this way, it will look like he has been out really dealing with the real off road rocks. Artificial Character. Ha Ha.

Good luck to you. Yes it is hell raising kids. At least that is what I taught my Dad, but we made it. Ha Ha.

Replacing the entire rear axle is one thing, replacing the axle shaft is something else and may be a better mechanical learning experience and probably cheaper. Of course if the axle housing is bent, this isn't an option.

I do like your idea about gradually working on the body after getting it to drive fairly straight. Heck if it was me at his age, I'd be happy just getting it drive-able at all then working on something else, then something else and repeating until the whole thing was done.

Maybe you could start a thread in the TJ Build Threads section to keep us all up to date with his progress.

Without knowing the extent of the damage, there is no definitive answer. Parting out will bring the biggest return, but also the biggest headache. Multiple buyers, people nickle and diming you, taking time to remove the good parts, etc. Eventually you are left with the rest of the garbage which you then have to get rid of. Parting out is great if willing to deal with the headache.

I tell you who does know the extent ..the body shop guy ...and he can fix it for cost.

What's going to happen is he is going to be driving it around in about 3 months , then sell it and hit a lick.

You can't lose by keeping it, because it will bring as much later as now , and your son needs to see the reality of a careless moment in a vehicle for a while ...him fixing it, or attempting to, will be a daily reminder to pay attention. Every turn of a bolt he will be saying ..boy I wish I hadn't of let this happen .

My guess is it is fixable or the offer for 2000 would not have happened .

Hug your son and be glad you aren't buying a casket. Glad he is ok, this may be the best thing that ever happened to him. He will be more careful from here on .

I agree glad your son did not get hurt.

I assisted my son's TJ in high school, to fix a major wrecked front and side fender cause of his reckless driving and he did all the labor himself.

Our insurance could have took care of it and wifey could have paid the deductible, but I talked her out of it.

A big difference how my son now takes care of his jeep.