Need help removing rear axle shafts

Brons808

97 2.5l 4cyl Dana 35 rear how do I remove rear axle shaft… there’s no cross pin/c clips visual and I’m having a real hard time figuring it out

25B929B8-C088-4C25-8712-767FEF006391.jpeg

3CD68467-463A-47EC-A119-B305E1E5188A.jpeg

0686DAF5-8F7F-4530-A12E-356E180723F1.jpeg

According to the 97 shop manual, "remove the nuts that are holding the axle retainer plate to the axle tube."
Once those are removed, it should pull out. (This is assuming I'm looking at the correct axle in the manual.)

1671136143898.png

The thing is the driver side axle shaft broke off and came off with the tire so I’m thinking there might be a c clip?

The thing is the driver side axle shaft broke off and came off with the tire so I’m thinking there might be a c clip?

If it is like the front axle on my 2001, there isn't a clip. The outer bearing holds the shaft in place.

Check out this video. It's on a YJ, but it's a Dana 35. He open up the diff in such a way that I think that even I might be able to do it. When he gets the parts, he's going to install a locker.

@Blackjack is correct - that lighter-colored, grooved metal disc is sitting between both ends of the axle shafts. You'll need to pry that out, which will then allow you to press the shafts in, exposing the C-clips.

@Blackjack is correct - that lighter-colored, grooved metal disc is sitting between both ends of the axle shafts. You'll need to pry that out, which will then allow you to press the shafts in, exposing the C-clips.

It’s stuck is there a tool or special way to pull it out?

It’s stuck is there a tool or special way to pull it out?

Pull out hard on the good axle and it should allow enough slack to just pull it out. If you are careful you could gently pry on the block to push the axles out to loosen things up.

Reactions: pc1p
Pull out hard on the good axle and it should allow enough slack to just pull it out. If you are careful you could gently pry on the block to push the axles out to loosen things up.

It’s still stuck, it’s like it’s rubbing on the right hand side top and bottom so it can’t slide out, I think when the axle shaft broke on my driver side rear that it pushed the remainder of the shaft more in and the thing that’s between the axle shafts sorta shifted over to the right and I have to somehow

it looks as if it has to be pulled in the middle but that block thing is slightly to the right and I’m having a hard time lining it up in the middle. The right side part is scrapping as I pull it out so it doesn’t wanna come out

It’s still stuck, it’s like it’s rubbing on the right hand side top and bottom so it can’t slide out, I think when the axle shaft broke on my driver side rear that it pushed the remainder of the shaft more in and the thing that’s between the axle shafts sorta shifted over to the right and I have to somehow

it looks as if it has to be pulled in the middle but that block thing is slightly to the right and I’m having a hard time lining it up in the middle. The right side part is scrapping as I pull it out so it doesn’t wanna come out

Well if that broken shaft is jamming things up you may have to get a little western with it.

Reactions: pc1p
Well if that broken shaft is jamming things up you may have to get a little western with it.

This for sure...

May be able to fish some metal strap around there (or some string that you can then fish some metal strap around with), then use a slide hammer or just something with a bit of weight to help you get some momentum and pop it out...