Need help with axle decisions for LJ / Scrambler hybrid build

Need some hybrid help from my TJ/LJ friends (I'm a CJ owner). I ordered and finally received my TDK CJ-8 Hybrid (TJ suspension) replacement frame I intend to use for a father/son project build under my '81 Scrambler. The goal is a capable trail rig with the best on-road mannerisms possible as my teenager son will be driving it daily to school, etc. I do not plan to use much anything original frame down, but will be using current 4.2L MPI, Dana 300/SM465 trans.

I did a lot of research and decided to use the Savvy mid-arm kit for the build so I left brackets off the frame which saves me steps cutting things off I don't need. I'm now on to axles where I need advice/help.

Rear is easy - order Dana 44/Dana 60 with disk brake conversion and without or cut off upper control arm brackets. Install kit as intended in the rear. Lots of options for crate axles that will work (will be stock TJ width).

Front - here is gets more complicated since the TJ and CJ have different driveline offset sides. I WAS thinking of having an axle built that just swaps the offset however now that I look at the kit, it seems the front truss would need to link to the other frame wall and/or be custom.

My other option is stock front crate axle and do a T-case flip on my Dana 300. Not ideal but it all these items will be out of the Jeep at some point and then I'll have less to muck with in the suspension. I'll have access to frame from below and above since it will basically all be new before I move the powertrain and body over. In any case, no easy solution it seems. Any other thoughts or options (assuming I'm not going away from that suspension kit).

Thanks in advance

Joe

Reactions: Apparition
Need some hybrid help from my TJ/LJ friends (I'm a CJ owner). I ordered and finally received my TDK CJ-8 Hybrid (TJ suspension) replacement frame I intend to use for a father/son project build under my '81 Scrambler. The goal is a capable trail rig with the best on-road mannerisms possible as my teenager son will be driving it daily to school, etc. I do not plan to use much anything original frame down, but will be using current 4.2L MPI, Dana 300/SM465 trans.

I did a lot of research and decided to use the Savvy mid-arm kit for the build so I left brackets off the frame which saves me steps cutting things off I don't need. I'm now on to axles where I need advice/help.

Rear is easy - order Dana 44/Dana 60 with disk brake conversion and without or cut off upper control arm brackets. Install kit as intended in the rear. Lots of options for crate axles that will work (will be stock TJ width).

Front - here is gets more complicated since the TJ and CJ have different driveline offset sides. I WAS thinking of having an axle built that just swaps the offset however now that I look at the kit, it seems the front truss would need to link to the other frame wall and/or be custom.

My other option is stock front crate axle and do a T-case flip on my Dana 300. Not ideal but it all these items will be out of the Jeep at some point and then I'll have less to muck with in the suspension. I'll have access to frame from below and above since it will basically all be new before I move the powertrain and body over. In any case, no easy solution it seems. Any other thoughts or options (assuming I'm not going away from that suspension kit).

Thanks in advance

Joe
Contact @mrblaine; he is located in SoCal and is quite knowledgeable on the type of modifications you are considering.

Reactions: Apparition
It appears you're not shy of spending some bread on this project....

My thoughts....atlas
4.3 or 5 ....
yes 5 low range 😳😳😳gearing behind the sm465 1st gear...

Vun duh bar!!!!!!

https://www.advanceadapters.com/categories/atlas-transfer-cases/234/
yes on the spend, to a degree though - I could just buy him a newer used Jeep for a lot less but thats no "fun", (this is going to fun right? tell me it is! :ROFLMAO:)

I think for the cost of the Atlas I could flip my D300 a few times (I actually have a spare D300 now I could rebuild, flipped) but that's not an out of the question idea - and yeah, the sm465 1st gear is low low.

Contact @mrblaine; he is located in SoCal and is quite knowledgeable on the type of modifications you are considering.
Thanks for tagging him - I thought about tagging him in my original post but didn't want to imply I only wanted his advice... : ) I do like those disk brake conversions though! ; )

yes on the spend, to a degree though - I could just buy him a newer used Jeep for a lot less but thats no "fun", (this is going to fun right? tell me it is! :ROFLMAO:)

I think for the cost of the Atlas I could flip my D300 a few times (I actually have a spare D300 now I could rebuild, flipped) but that's not an out of the question idea - and yeah, the sm465 1st gear is low low.
I love the "big 4" transmissions..
T18,np435,sm420,sm465

One damn 3 year window Jeep used a man's transmission in the T-18

Some posters on here get pissed when i speak so lowly of the Jeep transmissions over the years.
If they've never experienced any of the big 4 trannies they'll never really understand how wonderful that first gear and reverse gear really are and that's in high range. Low range still available.

Flipping the 300 has had mixed results.
The Atlas on the other hand have gotten so good you can virtually custom order those things now...gear, splines, 2 speed, 4 speed etc.

Keeping the diff on the driver side will make packaging of things like track bars and steering linkage less challenging.

Reactions: RubiconLJ