Need help with my LJ rear disc brakes

Yeah, that is a good point. New calipers from RockAuto only run somewhere between $25 and $40 depending on the brand. If these don't seem to be doing the job, I will pick up a new set.

I did not put the e-brake shoes back on. My LJ is an automatic and I don't remember ever using the parking brake on any of my vehicles. Of course, I'll say that now, and I'll stall out on a hill somewhere tomorrow. :oops:

The best news is, no more grinding noise. On the passenger side I think it was one of the e-brake parts stuck in there, and on the drivers side the pads were rusted stuck.

. IMG_20191017_175133-01.jpeg

Rebuild your parking brake. Very cheap and easy to do. There are times not to trust the parking pawl. They don't call them emergency brakes anymore (probably the lawyers changed the name), but they can help in the event your hydraulics fail.

Reactions: GreenLantern2000
I just changed the parking brake shoes on mine last weekend. I had bought new hardware, but ended up cleaning up and using the existing hardware. If you've ever done TJ drum brakes, these are 100 times easier.

I'm one of the cheapest guys you'll ever meet (and I'm not even Scottish!) But I always spend the coin for new parts for brakes and steering. Saving a dollar can cost a life!