Need help with rear auxiliary lighting

ScottB

TJ Enthusiast
I am currently "building, enhancing, playing," or whatever the proper word is, to my 05 TJ. This is my second go round with this "building" a Jeep. The first was a JK, that I sold and should not have. Moving on to my question. There are several little things that I like to do along the way and I really try to think things out before I commit to going one path so I do not have to do things twice.

I want some additional, white auxiliary lighting for the rear of my TJ. Not the type that will come on when I place the Jeep in reverse, but anytime I want them on. I will be connecting them to an SPOD. I know the SPOD is expensive and I know someone (not me) could build the same thing cheaper, but I like, and will use the SPOD.

I really like the idea of having the aux lights in the bumper. JCR makes a great rear bumper for the TJ that meets exactly what I am looking for. There is already 2 square cut outs in the bumper for the aux lighting. However, the JCR bumper is $600.00 (HOLY SHIT!)

JCR Mid.JPG

I do NOT want to simply mount the lights ON the rear bumper. I don't prefer the look, plus they can easily be damaged or knocked off.

I have seen an option that Rigid makes for the JK. They make a bracket that screws INTO the top of the rear tail light housing, and then you mount the light to the housing. I do not want to drill holes into my tail lights because I have LED tail lights.

I'm not sure if anyone makes the type of bracket that I want, so I might have to make my own. I would like a bracket that mounts BEHIND the rear tail light housing. If I remove the tail light, I could use the tail light housing bolts. The bracket would then go up and over the tail light. The 3" square lights could then be mounted to this bracket.

Has anyone ever seen this type of mount?

Thanks Kevin, this is exactly what I was looking for. I looked at them on the Teraflex website and they offer 2 types. One is a "Skin Pack" and the other is "Boxed." I do not know the difference and the description for each is the same. Any ideas?

Something like these driver and passenger side CB antenna mounts?

Thanks Kevin, this is exactly what I was looking for. I looked at them on the Teraflex website and they offer 2 types. One is a "Skin Pack" and the other is "Boxed." I do not know the difference and the description for each is the same. Any ideas?
You're welcome! It looks like the difference is retail packaging or plain brown box.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I purchased both driver and passenger side mounts and asked Teraflex the same question. It is the same part, only the packaging is different. Boxed is easier to ship.

I want some additional, white auxiliary lighting for the rear of my TJ. Not the type that will come on when I place the Jeep in reverse, but anytime I want them on.

I used a 3-way On-On-Off switch so I have all the options... manually switched on / automatic on with reverse gear / off.

The extra light during backing is great without having to turn a switch on or off. If you are going through the trouble of wiring the lights yourself, tapping into the reverse wire was fairly simple. There are several good online write ups on how to do it.

Reactions: cjaama