Need help with suspension and lift parts

Tripp

Hello everyone! I'm looking into trying to get my fairly new to me TJ to ride better. It currently has a Rough Country 4" lift on it and it appears that all the lift consisted of was four new springs and one pair of front RC NS shocks. I'm learning that all it really did was get the Jeep higher in the air but did nothing to fix the suspension geometry that was thrown off by the lift.

My main complaint is that it wanders and drifts all over the road and when I'm turning feels like there's too much body roll. It's not fun to ride around in and I'd like it to be.

I don't have hundreds more to spend on it so I'm wondering what few things I can do to start with? I'm guessing the wandering may be caused by too little caster? I've read about fixed length control arms and adjustable for both upper and lower, front and back. I assume adjustable upper and lower front and back is ideal but on a budget what of those would help the most in getting caster where it should be? Assuming that's even the main cause. Front uppers? Front lowers? Adjustable or fixed length? Note that I've replaced a ball joint that was bad, checked toe-in and added an adjustable track bar.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hello everyone! .....
hello there 🙋‍♂️
I don't have hundreds more to spend
^ wrong mindset bro 😎, Jeep’s are life

I recommend to fix things the right way the first time and start by replacing all 8 control arms with adjustable arms w/ Johnny joints in both ends. A complete kit will be less expensive than replacing 2 at time. You’ll be able to set the pinion angles and adjust caster. After that is a rear dc driveshaft with fixed yoke.

I bought a Jeep with an RC lift that did the same thing. Get better shocks and ditch the dropped pitman arm (if it was installed). Fixed my wandering problems completely. Align the front end yourself afterwards.

Reactions: JMT and Feralkid
Makes sense! I was just thinking
hello there 🙋‍♂️

^ wrong mindset bro 😎, Jeep’s are life

I recommend to fix things the right way the first time and start by replacing all 8 control arms with adjustable arms w/ Johnny joints in both ends. A complete kit will be less expensive than replacing 2 at time. You’ll be able to set the pinion angles and adjust caster. After that is a rear dc driveshaft with fixed yoke.
Makes sense and I definitely don't want to go the cheapest route I was just hoping that say maybe an adjustable front lower set might get me the biggest relief until I could buy the rest but also due to inexperience wasn't sure how much the rears were needed.

I bought a Jeep with an RC lift that did the same thing. Get better shocks and ditch the dropped pitman arm (if it was installed). Fixed my wandering problems.
No drop pitman arm on mine but I agree a set of shocks are probably needed although I feel like I have a caster issue as well. But I've read the Rancho RS5000 shocks are nice for the wranglers.

I bought a Jeep with an RC lift that did the same thing. Get better shocks and ditch the dropped pitman arm (if it was installed). Fixed my wandering problems completely. Align the front end yourself afterwards.
Whenever I see a jeep or truck with a rough country decal I think they might as well just smeared dogshit across their windshield.

No drop pitman arm on mine but I agree a set of shocks are probably needed although I feel like I have a caster issue as well. But I've read the Rancho RS5000 shocks are nice for the wranglers.
Rancho RS5000X. Don’t forget the X. The 5000’s ride like crap.

At 4” of lift a lot has to happen to get it right.

Drop to 2” and Rancho 0-2” RS 5000X shocks and you will be much better off without spending bazillions

Reactions: Feralkid
Whenever I see a jeep or truck with a rough country decal I think they might as well just smeared dogshit across their windshield.
So true.

Ya got to admit though, they got the “rough” part right!

Reactions: Feralkid
Thanks guys, any suggestions on brands for control arms? In the event I end up just getting one set at a time what would be the best bang for the buck? Front upper? Front lower?

If you want to save som green, I’d think it might be cheaper to LOWER your suspension at least an inch. You shouldn’t need any adjustable control arms at that height (2.5- 3” of lift) Just replace your coils.

Reactions: JMT
If you want to save som green, I’d think it might be cheaper to LOWER your suspension at least an inch. You shouldn’t need any adjustable control arms at that height (2.5- 3” of lift) Just replace your coils.
Only if it’s a low speed trail jeep.

turning feels like there's too much body roll. It's not fun to ride around in and I'd like it to be.
start with some stiffer shocks.
would help the most in getting caster where it should be?
a digital angle finder can answer this question for you, if you own a jeep you should own at least 1 of these tools too.
are both FnR sway bars and links intact? does the steering wheel return to center or hang?

address single issues and work um through.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, any suggestions on brands for control arms? In the event I end up just getting one set at a time what would be the best bang for the buck? Front upper? Front lower?
If you want to stay at 4” lift, you might consider Core 4x4 control arms. You also need an SYE and DC, front and rear adjustable TB’s. Small fortune. Or drop it to 2.5-3” and get a 1.25” body lift and 1” motor mount lift. Save a lot of wallet.