Need help!

Kmatta84

Supporting Member
I have a 2006 wrangler X, my check engine light is on because I need a new catty. I plan on replacing it next year when I have the money so I had the light cleared but it came back on after 35 miles before I could get to mechanic. Is there anything else I can do? I just need to pass for this year

I have a 2006 wrangler X, my check engine light is on because I need a new catty. I plan on replacing it next year when I have the money so I had the light cleared but it came back on after 35 miles before I could get to mechanic. Is there anything else I can do? I just need to pass for this year
Yea, replace the cats... There is no fooling the inspection, my understanding is that it looks at the post cat 02 to verify the cat(s) is working. Some vehicles even generate a test on-board to verify that the cat is indeed still working as designed.

Clearing the code will and should only be a temp. It will come back on after several miles unless the emissions issue is fixed correctly.

But also, I’d have it properly diagnosed to make sure it is, indeed the cats and not something else like a bad post cat 02 sensor.

What happened to your 2005?

If you have a P0421 code, check your header pipe to exhaust manifold bolts. I just went thru this a few days ago. My 06 X is close to 120K (had 39K when I bought it a few years back) and I got my very first CEL.

I was ready to swap out sensors and do the new cat thing, until I found the bolts had backed out. Once tightened and code cleared, no issues, no codes.

Ray

Yea, replace the cats... There is no fooling the inspection, my understanding is that it looks at the post cat 02 to verify the cat(s) is working. Some vehicles even generate a test on-board to verify that the cat is indeed still working as designed.

Clearing the code will and should only be a temp. It will come back on after several miles unless the emissions issue is fixed correctly.

But also, I’d have it properly diagnosed to make sure it is, indeed the cats and not something else like a bad post cat 02 sensor.
I’ve replaced the censor. I’ve I knew I needed a knew cat since last year but my friend who’s a mechanic plus the mechanic at the shop said it could wait since it’s not urgent but necessary for inspection so they cleared it last year to pass but it’s not staying off long enough this year. And I’ve heard stories of people getting rid of their jeeps because they didn’t want to spend the money on the cat. It’s an 06 with 90k. Is it worth it?

I’ve replaced the censor. I’ve I knew I needed a knew cat since last year but my friend who’s a mechanic plus the mechanic at the shop said it could wait since it’s not urgent but necessary for inspection so they cleared it last year to pass but it’s not staying off long enough this year. And I’ve heard stories of people getting rid of their jeeps because they didn’t want to spend the money on the cat. It’s an 06 with 90k. Is it worth it?
uh yeah? even the upstream cats cost... 600 i think?

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
Inspection here in MD can tell you just cleared the code and the will reject it and make you come back later. Hard to fool them now with all the Tech.

Not bad for a Walker

8A96B974-2F6E-494D-8E0D-83D0BC5C988F.png

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Reactions: Rubicon88
How do you know this?
If your cat is bad it drives like shit. If it's really bad you'll have trouble hitting 40 mph.

Tell me how you verified the cat is bad

LOL..
Like WTF...

Oil is dirty...trade it.
You guys are hilarious. Wishing my sarcasm was more obvious.

But really? It’s needed a cat replaced for three years according to OP’s own accord. OP still wants to kick the can down the road and not replace the cat...and it’s only because they need to pass an inspection.
🤡

OP’s trusted mechanic’s opinions are questionable. (Missing context, I’ll admit)

OP has read about or knows people who have owned Jeeps who have sold it when it needed a cat...

So hell yea, join em, sell it, someone out there will happily buy it and happily take care of it properly.

But really? It’s needed a cat replaced for three years according to OP’s own accord. OP still wants to kick the can down the road and not replace the cat...and it’s only because they need to pass an inspection.
🤡

OP’s trusted mechanic’s opinions are questionable. (Missing context, I’ll admit)

OP has read about or knows people who have owned Jeeps who have sold it when it needed a cat...

So hell yea, join em, sell it, someone out there will happily buy it and happily take care of it properly.
I knew you were being funny. As was I.

• Face Palm

🤡

You are correct!

My meme is a copy of the funny expression I do when my customers decide to acknowledge the software is not the issue and the monoware is.

• Haha
How do you know this?
If your cat is bad it drives like shit. If it's really bad you'll have trouble hitting 40 mph.

Tell me how you verified the cat is bad
It does not drive like shit. Check engine light keeps coming back on and that’s what the code says