Need information on making my own brake lines and fittings

Shropshirewrangler

TJ Enthusiast
It's time to change the brake lines on my RHD 2001 non ABS, drum rear braked, export model TJ.
Best way forward is to have the lines made up here in the U.K. Usual deal is that I supply the parts.
So the question is what size lines and which thread form for the fittings?
Roughly how much lines should I buy?
Copper or steel?
I think that the flexible lines are the same as LHD ones, is that correct?
Thanks in advance.

steel line should be available in bulk, like a 10 to 20 ft roll/coil, fittings can be purchased loose, and a tube bender ($10) and flare tool ($30 ^) are not to expensive and not bad to have on hand.
if your fittings are in good shape you could use them on the new line.

i use 1 like this, IIRC it was about 35$.

flare tool.PNG

or they do make pre-made straight sections you can bend as needed, 1ft,3ft, 5ft.

@mrblaine , ................. b4 i put my foot in my mouth.

Last edited:
The brake line size is 3/16 and the fittings are 3/8-24, if you make your own. You can buy a whole set pre-made for a little over a 100 bucks though, if that helps. I made my own, but by the time I bought the tools and materials, I could've paid for the pre-made. I guess moving forward I still have the tools and who doesn't like tools

Reactions: Shropshirewrangler
steel line should be available in bulk, like a 10 to 20 ft roll/coil, fittings can be purchased loose, and a tube bender ($10) and flare tool ($30 ^) are not to expensive and not bad to have on hand.
if your fittings are in good shape you could use them on the new line.

i use 1 like this, IIRC it was about 35$.

View attachment 225910
or they do make pre-made straight sections you can bend as needed, 1ft,3ft, 5ft.

@mrblaine , ................. b4 i put my foot in my mouth.
You have it. The problem will be terminology. I don't know what they call a tube nut in the UK. It is also better to get the long version. Sometimes the standard length will get too close to the block to tighten down on the flare before the hex bottoms out.

3/16" tube nut with 3/8-24 thread and a 7/16" hex is most common. A small handful of those and some bundy tube will fix it right up. The only place that will suck is at the combo valve.

I have a diagram that shows the thread sizes for it but I don't know how that translates to a right hand drive.
The 1 port forward of the switch is 11mm x 1.0 and is a bitch to find a tube nut for.
Port behind the switch is 1/2-20
Port facing straight back is 3/8-24 if it has the port adapter for non ABS brakes.

Also, if I recall correctly, the brake line that runs from front to rear (proportioning valve to tee on brake hose on rear diff), is 1/4" and not 3/16"
Definitely steel line, do not use copper.
All hard lines on all TJ models are 3/16". He isn't talking actual copper most likely but instead referring to cupronickel which is a very common alloy for brake lines in the UK.

All hard lines on all TJ models are 3/16". He isn't talking actual copper most likely but instead referring to cupronickel which is a very common alloy for brake lines in the UK.
Thanks alot to everyone who posted, altogether the comprehensive answers that I was looking for.
Yes cupronickel is the correct term, tube nut makes more sense than "brake nut fitting", as ever two nations separated by a common language!

Thanks mrblaine, I think i'm getting confused with my 'Cuda in which that rear line is 1/4". I'm also glad to hear he wasn't planning on using copper for brake lines lol!

Thanks mrblaine, I think i'm getting confused with my 'Cuda in which that rear line is 1/4". I'm also glad to hear he wasn't planning on using copper for brake lines lol!

I know this is an older post but there does exist copper that would be more than suitable for brake line pressures. Aviation line for oxygen service is rated at around 3000 psi working pressure which is higher than the minimum burst pressure for the flex hoses. It is just too expensive for brake line use.