Need LJ rear seat to tailgate dimensions

rjaym

Supporting Member
I’m building a camp box for the LJ and would to like to still use a backseat someday. If someone could reply with a min/max measurement I would appreciate it. I suspect the lowest section of the seat allows the greatest distance while the top is least - assuming the seat back is tilted. This box is about 13” high so that is about where I need to know the “min” distance. Long winded - yes. Thanks rj

Start here and I'll measure when I head out to work on mine. You can see in the first pic how much room they left for the handle-to-tailgate clearance. So a measurement on the floor and one at 13"?

Yes - floor and up 13 “ and measure again. I have that same box for sale if interested. Thanks for helping! Russ

My Tuffy drawer deck sits at 12" high and makes about the right amount of contact with the back of the seat. The Tuffy box length is 20 1/8", so I'd call it 20" long at 13" high. Then you have the 3" shown to play with if you want to get into that area with the latch and these shiny bits.

The seatback is pretty close to vertical (glad I use the driver seat) so you don't get much more than an extra inch at the bottom. Is that worth accounting for? If you put a divider behind the seat, you could mount some brackets between the seat and the divider. You could sneak in a shovel, flares, or a few Jeep-only tools you don't use often like a lug wrench or breaker bar. It might be an interesting spot for a slim, flexible water bladder or custom air tank? How about some axle shafts if you build around the fat bits. Ooh, I like that idea...

If you have something specific you really want to wedge in there, I could probably be convinced to take your measurements and see how tight it will be...

IMG_0030.jpeg

That’s great info - thanks for the effort. I’m afraid a seat won’t be an option for my box. I’m now looking at making this modular so it can be removed easily and a seat dropped in - in its place. Again. Thank you for taking the time. Russ

Reactions: rbronco21