Need opinions on this TJ

defenderu

TJ Enthusiast
I think i might be a TJ owner soon my search continues. 2003 rubicon 150,000 miles on it put down some money for a hold on it. Body and inside has a few issues but under looks clean frame wise. What do you guys see. Ps. This forum is such a great resource for new to TJ.
Under 5.jpg
Under 4.jpg
Under 3.jpg
Under 2.jpg
under 1.jpg

Looks pretty clean in the pictures, especially for being in Chicago. I would almost think this jeep lived most of its life elsewhere and its a Rubicon so that's good too!

As someone who owns a Florida Jeep, that is a Florida level of rust (meaning that it's good)! Added-value of it being a Rubi. What are the body and interior issues you mentioned? How much is he asking?

Depending on what/where it is and how good you are at welding, body rust can be a real PITA and was a dealbreaker on more than one Jeep when I was looking for one.

As someone who owns a Florida Jeep, that is a Florida level of rust (meaning that it's good)! Added-value of it being a Rubi. What are the body and interior issues you mentioned? How much is he asking?

Depending on what/where it is and how good you are at welding, body rust can be a real PITA and was a dealbreaker on more than one Jeep when I was looking for one.

scratched up pretty bad around the dash and some clear issues with seats but overall ok. Body has some fading. asking $12,500

I don't see anything alarming on those pictures. Stick your finger into the frame holes to feel for rust slag. $12.5 for a rust free TJR right now is a steal.

Reactions: harbiison
What is a lifespan of the 4.0, I would guess with regular maintenance 200k or more but i have no idea ?
18 yrs old and 150k isn't excessive, resale later may take a hit on that though but depends what your plan is with a TJ ? Just asking because i have been down the 100/150k mileage thing before and it always has been an impact on my resale. Just something to consider if you think you may ever trade off for a mini van (JK) due to a larger family or something- you know life happens lol

The tires on the rear have different wear pattern, maybe one wheel smokey burnouts (could be the camera angle too) ?

What is a lifespan of the 4.0, I would guess with regular maintenance 200k or more but i have no idea ?
18 yrs old and 150k isn't excessive, resale later may take a hit on that though but depends what your plan is with a TJ ? Just asking because i have been down the 100/150k mileage thing before and it always has been an impact on my resale. Just something to consider if you think you may ever trade off for a mini van (JK) due to a larger family or something- you know life happens lol

The tires on the rear have different wear pattern, maybe one wheel smokey burnouts (could be the camera angle too) ?

Will be built for a every couple month off roader and the occasional family cruise. Will be a third vehicle.

You may have to put money into it right away. I bought mine last May at 131k. Lifted it in the late fall and needed to replace a bunch of steering parts that were worn and causing death wobble. I also discovered that a 16 year old Jeeps springs were very compressed so my 4" suspension lift gave me way more than 4" of height. Best of luck with it!

Sending him over for what?

Did you drive it?

Did you like it enough to own it without any yeah but...

If so quit wasting time and get it!!!

I can't go in person. long story. So buying site unseen. Sending over a mechanic I know to confirm its good and pay and will pick it up next week when I can.

I can't go in person. long story. So buying site unseen. Sending over a mechanic I know to confirm its good and pay and will pick it up next week when I can.
I'd never buy anything site unseen. It's your bread but if I'm spending 12k+ I'm damm sure going to like it.

If you have the coin to spend 12k and hate it...I'm in the wrong profession. 😎

Ok that's no big deal, you made it sound like there was floor pan rust or something lol. I think 12,500 is too high still, maybe 9k?

Got him to $12k he wasnt budging at all. He knows rubicons are hot. The other one I was looking at is mint 42,000 miles and they want $25,000. Im going to tear it apart anyways so would rather spend on a higher mileage one.

Reactions: Jaxon B.

My 4.0 is closing on 300k, and all I've done is regular maintenance and replaced whatever sensors have failed, and replaced the rusted ground strap. And the stupid oil fill cap about 4 times.

My 4.0 is closing on 300k, and all I've done is regular maintenance and replaced whatever sensors have failed, and replaced the rusted ground strap. And the stupid oil fill cap about 4 times.
Have you had it from new?
Do you drive it hard or easy?
You should put up your maintenance list and schedule.
I would love to get 300.000 but I think mine will be toast before 150,000.

Glad I sent a mechanic before going to get it. Tiny crack in radiator and rear locker wouldnt engage. How much to fix a rear locker. I assume would start with air pump.