Need secure rear passenger area storage solution WITH seat and Tuffy trunk installed.

t00th

TJ Enthusiast
So I run one of these behind the rear seat to make it a lockable compartment. Mostly for summer usage, as I've got the soft top on 9 months out of the year.
https://tuffyproducts.com/products/...losure-jeep-1997-2006-wrangler-tj/?sku=296-01

I'm trying to come up with a creative way to secure cargo/luggage in the back seat area WITHOUT removing this or the back seat for things like trips in the spring/summer when the soft top (doors unlocked) is on or retracted (exposed).

I'm not totally opposed to removing the back seat. But I consider the enclosure a permanent install. Way too much of a PITA to take in and out on a whim.

For camping, I don't care. Top goes down, boxes and gear get piled in back and strapped down. Road trip where I'm only stopping at gas stations and going to be able to unload and secure stuff inside as soon as I arrive, I also don't care. In those cases it's bags/luggage/anything else piled on the back seat and in the footwells, covered with moving blankets, secured with a big cargo net with cam buckles to D-rings on the tub. Top up or down, I feel confident no one's gonna fuck with it in a parking lot if I take a short trip inside.

I'm trying to solve for when I may need to leave the vehicle for an extended period. Top up or down, all it really does is add a visual barrier. Say if I folded up the back seat , and with the trunk compartment still in, that leaves a big rectangle of space in the rear where i could temporarily enclose stuff. I know this isn't going to be as secure as a proper product like the Tuffy security deck. But just an additional measure of security. For example, I briefly considered if I could somehow install this when needed and keep stuff underneath it - that's the kind of "security" I'd be satisfied with. A structured barrier between a person and my stuff. Yes they could remove it with tools. But it's something. I decided against it, but you get the idea.

Hooke Road TJ Rear Trunk Cargo Rack Basket Tray Interior Storage Luggage Carrier for 1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Am I doomed to put a locking box on a cargo carrier with a locked pin? Seems like it would be a lot of weight. And makes opening the trunk a no-go.