Need some advice on what might be wrong with this potential TJ purchase

rancholago

TJ Enthusiast
As some of you know I have been looking for a TJ for awhile now, plenty of reasons as to why I haven't found one yet. I did find one today and drove it, I will probably buy it if I can get you guys to chime in as to what might be wrong with this jeep.
first the jeep;
2001 Sahara, 160k miles, Automatic Transmission, pretty much all stock, no lift, 29" or 30" tires
Tie Rod ends, ball joints, and steering box, changed out about 2500 miles ago, according to the owner.
Looked around underneath, no sign of any rust on the frame, every thing looks good as far as the frame is concerned.

The drive; Drove it on a country road, my top speed was 70mph, pretty darn smooth, no noise, no pulling, straight as an arrow. Not a panic stop but from about 65 to stopped was smooth and straight not pulling in either direction, stopped Very good.
Two things bothered me, I did a U turn, I thought I could feel a grind/catching no noise to speak of, it was a momentary little catch, just barely perceptible. The next thing, when pulling in the driveway, I could hear what I call a rotating grinding, very pronounced, a grinding/groaning sound, sounding as it came from some rotation, wheel/rearend/wheel bearing/ujoint.
When driving straight mostly under acceleration it seem like the rear of the jeep was fish tailing, or swaying from the rear of the jeep, and then as the speed increased it went away.

My gut says U joints, but that is just a guess, maybe a bad wheel bearing, I could not pin point which side the noise came from but it seemed to be from the rear.
Owner says he things its springs moaning and grinding, just doesn't ring right to me. I am not an expert so it could be about any thing.

Ok so what do you guys say, I gave you the best description I could come up with.
Thanks

It doesn't sound serious.

Is there any rust? Are you handy with tools? If there's no rust, and your handy, I'd expect to replace some parts with 160K miles. Balls joints, tie rods ends, U-joints, and control arm bushings seem pretty common.

I bought my Jeep with 100K miles, and the handling felt loose. After a lift kit, with new lower control arms and shocks, it felt much better. Since then, I've replaced or rebuilt driveshaft U joints and sway bar bushings.

Initially, I kept comparing the handling of my Jeep to the european sedan I sold to buy the Jeep. There's no comparison, but my friends that are long time Jeep owners tell me my Jeep is solid.

I'm not being malicious when I say this but

COME ON....

It's a used vehicle with 160k on the clock.

Do you like it enough to buy it?
Yes or no. Price is irrelevant.
What someone on here magically thinks "might" be the issue based on your description is irrelevant.

Moreover I don't care what condition a 20 year old used vehicle is in...it will need shit.

If you love it...buy it. The issue will sort itself out in time.

Wow
Just thought some one might have some good idea to look for, thought might be able to get some ideas.
Thanks for your help

It depends on if it's coming from the front or rear. It could be something as simple as the rear brakes. Up front, it could be an axle u-joint or wheel bearing. None of that stuff would stop me from buying it. Talk him down a few hundred bucks for the noise.
p.s. The swaying in the rear could be worn shocks, sway bar end links or control arm bushings. Easy enough to look.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1o1proof
See if you negotiate the sellers to allow a shop to inspect the suspension, bearings, bushings, and brakes. Will probably cost you $200 but you can negotiate any repairs identified after the inspection. Really hard to diagnose things here with just your intuition on what it could be, it could really be anything you mentioned. Probably nothing serious, but it would be worth a look to be sure.

My TJ has new bearings and bushings and still makes the occasional noise. Lots of stuff turning under there. Spider gears when you turn can growl a little even when in good condition. Could be a parking brake shoe dragging a little, worn u joint. Who knows until you get it on a rack and look it over really well.

I recently bought a Mint TJ with 65,000 km's on it without a mechanical inspection. I just payed $8000 on mechanical repairs in 2 months. The truth is, these are old cars, they are not reliable cars. My recommendation is to buy a toyota Hilux and be done with it. You would even get most places in a RAV4 with mud tires. This TJ wrangler has been without a doubt the MOST unreliable vehicle I have ever owned in 30 years of driving. I've owned 26 cars.

I recently bought a Mint TJ with 65,000 km's on it without a mechanical inspection. I just payed $8000 on mechanical repairs in 2 months. The truth is, these are old cars, they are not reliable cars. My recommendation is to buy a toyota Hilux and be done with it. You would even get most places in a RAV4 with mud tires. This TJ wrangler has been without a doubt the MOST unreliable vehicle I have ever owned in 30 years of driving. I've owned 26 cars.
200.gif

I recently bought a Mint TJ with 65,000 km's on it without a mechanical inspection. I just payed $8000 on mechanical repairs in 2 months. The truth is, these are old JEEPS, they are not reliable JEEPS. My recommendation is to buy a toyota Hilux and be done with it. You would even get most places in a RAV4 with mud tires. This TJ wrangler has been without a doubt the MOST unreliable vehicle I have ever owned in 30 years of driving. I've owned 26 cars.
It couldn't have been too mint. $8,000 = New engine and transmission.:rolleyes:
p.s. I bought my Rubicon from someone that maintained it. In the past 3 years I've had to replace an O2 sensor and the pine tree air freshener TWICE.

Last edited:
At least your Donk is good! I am too scared to drive mine! lol
Once I get some 15w40 Diesel oil in it I might have piece of mind! lol
Got some pics of the Beast?

Wow
Just thought some one might have some good idea to look for, thought might be able to get some ideas.
Thanks for your help
If you think its not right then it will never be right. I bought my 2006 6 months ago my first ever jeep and 2 days later it was half empty of oil and that started my worries, 1 week later it threw a CEL to compound my worries, then I started to notice every tick squeak and noise. Well its still going and I am getting used to it, so much so I am willing to keep this one no matter the expense because its not just a drive its a "Lifestyle" :)

Consider this its a 20 year old 4x4 and many of which have been used in their life for what they were intended to be used for! If jeep wanted Wranglers to last forever maintenance free they would have just stopped at the TJ. :)

If it is a stock rust free California Jeep, you already have two big pluses. At 160K assume you will need to go through it and replace cooling system, ball joints, steering components, hub bearings, gaskets/seals, fluids, etc.. All of these are relatively easy. If you need to pay someone to do the work, either make sure you have the money to do so, or don't buy a Jeep.

Put simply, a solid axle Jeep is not a car. You're driving two sets of axles all the time. This means more parts to maintain and more expense to fix. That said, the TJ is relatively simple to work on, with basic tools. The transfer case, rears, transmission and engine have proven themselves to be reliable. If you're really concerned, spend the money to get it inspected by an independent shop. If the seller doesn't agree to this, walk away. There are plenty of Jeeps to buy!

Last edited:
As others have said, if its rust free, runs well, and is within your price range go for it. It's a 20 year old vehicle with 160k miles, so stuff is going to have to be replaced.

I had concerns before pulling the trigger on my TJ a month ago. I had the seller drop it at my mechanic. He gave it the thumbs up so I bought it. That is not to say there were not things wrong with it but he eliminated the worry of something REALLY wrong with it. I bought this with the hopes of working on it and learning. It has given me that.

Have it checked out if you are worried. If you buy be sure to post pics and updates. Good luck!

It was hard to find a decent TJ when I was looking as all of them got snatched up as soon as they were listed. When I finally bought one I showed up with cash and if it drove well enough and wasn't rusted out I was going to buy it.

Reactions: Irun, qslim and JMT
The good ones sell like hot cakes

Reactions: AndyG