Need some insight on buying tires

BrunoPizz97

TJ Enthusiast
My tread is running low and I need tires ASAP. Right now I have 33x12.5 pro comp tires.
I’d like something less aggressive on the road but also keeps the aggressive style. Does anyone have any suggestions? And where to buy.

Last edited:
I'd go to a place like America's Tire, they are pretty good and you can get service almost anywhere nationwide if you have a issue. If you have a favorite local shop then you can save some money buying tires online from vendors on ebay and having that shop install them.

For the tire it might help to know they exact pro comp tire so people don't recommend a more aggressive tread than what you are already running.

Here is a pic of the tire

5A75F893-B4D9-4C73-A5ED-FE3C6B45EA95.jpeg

KO2, General ATX or if you want to go really mild the Goodyear silent armor is a great tire and they are all still plenty capable. I don't know about the exact sizes. I also like the Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 but it's not that big of a step down from what you are already running.

Just avoid MT and get what you like the looks of, you'll probably be fine.

Reactions: Savior_Six
That’s a mud tire, which will be loud on the asphalt. Describe the conditions that you will be driving in so we can help you out. Only you can decide what style you want.
I want good traction on asphalt and on rocks but I want a smoother ride while daily driving it

AT tires in a load C is what you’re looking for. My KO2s are quiet enough for me.

Will you be driving on snow/ice? Do you depend on it to get to work, etc?

I want good traction on asphalt and on rocks but I want a smoother ride while daily driving it
All tires have good traction on asphalt. Determine your needs and go from there. My DC extreme terrain tires did everything perfectly on my XJ. I'll be going with those again when my MT MTZ P3s wear out.
XJ 6 2 2020 1 (2).jpg

I do depend on it for work
Any all season tire will get you where you want to go if you air down, modern tires are pretty good. You are basically buying for looks which is fine. Almost all those side decorations are just that, decorations to make the tire look good so you feel like you are driving an aggressive off road machine. They do very little in all but the most extreme situations. Get what you like the look of, there is no risk you are going to get a tire that isn't tough enough for the job.

Reactions: Jeep 541X
Since you daily it in NY I assume you drive in the winter too so look for AT tires with the three peak mountain snowflake rating. The explanation is here https://www.discounttire.com/learn/mountain-snowflake-symbol

The two rated tires I am familiar with are the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac and BFG KO2 but I'm sure there are others. I personally really like the Duratracs and my truck is on its second set. Since style is one of your criteria look up all the AT tires with that rating, decide which one you think is is pretty, and buy it. IMO you want to be sure to get load range C and not load range E.

As mentioned above, regarding America's Tires, I simply would like to add that they price matched Amazon when I got my awesome and relatively quiet Nittos Trail Graplers. FWIW.

Reactions: pagrey
Wildpeak AT3W,s they are quiet on the road and a good daily driver they have the 3 peak snow flake, they look more aggressive on the sidewall than they are. I bought them because they got very good reviews with excellent longevity for price.
They have been very good in the wet under braking in australia where the oil always slicks at stop signs and traffic signals due to all the Jeep main seal leaks lol
They are becoming popular in US, a few members on here have them with similar results to me.
When I go up tire size the AT3w,s will be my first choice.
They were cheaper than other brands but the price is going up due to popularity.
The merged Falken Japanese tire company bought out Goodyear/Dunlop north America so basically they are an addition to the Goodyear brands and are made near Buffalo NY.

Wildpeak AT3W,s they are quiet on the road and a good daily driver they have the 3 peak snow flake, they look more aggressive on the sidewall than they are. I bought them because they got very good reviews with excellent longevity for price.
They have been very good in the wet under braking in australia where the oil always slicks at stop signs and traffic signals due to all the Jeep main seal leaks lol
They are becoming popular in US, a few members on here have them with similar results to me.
When I go up tire size the AT3w,s will be my first choice.
They were cheaper than other brands but the price is going up due to popularity.
The merged Falken Japanese tire company bought out Goodyear/Dunlop north America so basically they are an addition to the Goodyear brands and are made near Buffalo NY.
x2 for me! I love my Wildpeak A/Ts.

1B58E3F7-897C-4102-81CA-1B886DD53723.jpeg

Reactions: Fishtaco and Irun
Goodyear Duratrac. Best "hybrid" tire. Light, durable and quiet. That is, in my experience. Never ran a BF Goodrich but did run a Firestone AT. Not a bad tire tbh. But I prefer the Goodyear, hands down.