Need some opinions on frame conditions

GorillaBiscuit

TJ Enthusiast
Hey guys, I've got three tj rubicons I'm looking at, all have different levels of rust and wear. I wanted to post some pics of the frames on these jeeps and see what you think, if there is anything that stands out as a major red flag.
This first jeep is a 2006 with a lift, and 89k miles. I'm not happy that it has a lift, but I really want your opinions. If it looks decent to you guys, then I might be more open to buying this one.
IMG_1287.JPG
IMG_6208.jpg
IMG_6207.jpg
IMG_1286.JPG

The first one (the 2006) looks better than the second one!

I'd ditch the Rough Country lift of course, but other than that, it looks good.

Thank you, @Serbonze . I really like this 2006 jeep, but those aftermarket shocks are killing me!
I definitely prefer stock, but if everyone here thinks it looks like it's in good shape, I'll be happier with it.

Hey Chris, yea, I like the first one but I'm very concerned about the lift on it. Are these shocks like a 2.5" lift?

I'd have to see photos of the vehicle to know for sure. It could be 2.5" or 4".

The lift is easy to replace with something better. All you really need to do is put in some better shocks in place of those horrible Rough Country shocks.

Don't be concerned with the lift. Be concerned about upkeep and maintenance that was done (or not done). New shocks will be $200-$300, it's really nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: greenliftedtj97
Hey Chris, yea, I like the first one but I'm very concerned about the lift on it. Are these shocks like a 2.5" lift?

Based on the control arms and how short the front sway bar disconnects are, I'm guessing 2.5". The swaybar would be at a severe downward angle with those short disconnects and a 4" lift.

Hey @Serbonze , I'm hoping it is a 2.5" lift and that nothing else in the suspension is modified.
The tires on this 2006 jeep with the lift is 285/75R16. I think this is the equivalent to 33" tires? I think?

Based on my limited experience on the TJs but being in Ohio way too long I'd say one looks better than the other but neither looks too bad.

Even though my frame had almost no visible rust, other than a couple of scratches with very little surface rust, It did have too much rust between the skid plate and frame. It looked like some loose sealant, or something, along the seam and was still under paint but ended up being a chunk of rust about a 1/16th of an inch thick and as wide as the frame when I lowered that plate. If you see anything "growing" out of that seam, poke at it with a screwdriver or something.

Both of those frames look decent to me. The first looks better than the second however. Also, I'm in Michigan, where frames that clean are as rare as hens teeth.

Last edited:
Hey @Ranger_b0b , The first jeep is originally from VA, but then lived in Lancaster PA from 2011 to 2016. It's now in North Carolina. It has an accident reported on the carfax, but says no major damage.

The second jeep is a 2004 and has lived in Baltimore Maryland its whole life. One owner, with meticulous maintenance records. The automatic transmission went out and the guy traded it in. The transmission just has a fresh rebuild so it can be sold.

I much prefer the second jeep because of it being one owner who was very adamant about scheduled maintenance, and it's automatic with no lift. I don't mind a straight drive at all, but autos are just eazy. Mainly tho, I like it better because it's still stock, but I do worry about it having a rebuilt transmission, and I worry about it being from Maryland, I'm pretty sure that's a really rusty area, what do you think about rust on jeeps from Maryland?

Hey @Ranger_b0b , The first jeep is originally from VA, but then lived in Lancaster PA from 2011 to 2016. It's now in North Carolina. It has an accident reported on the carfax, but says no major damage.

The second jeep is a 2004 and has lived in Baltimore Maryland its whole life. One owner, with meticulous maintenance records. The automatic transmission went out and the guy traded it in. The transmission just has a fresh rebuild so it can be sold.

I much prefer the second jeep because of it being one owner who was very adamant about scheduled maintenance, and it's automatic with no lift. I don't mind a straight drive at all, but autos are just eazy. Mainly tho, I like it better because it's still stock, but I do worry about it having a rebuilt transmission, and I worry about it being from Maryland, I'm pretty sure that's a really rusty area, what do you think about rust on jeeps from Maryland?

How many miles are on the second Jeep? I'm not sure the guy kept up on much maintenance if the transmission went out with fairly low miles on the Jeep... The first one looks alright, but if you really don't want a lifted Jeep, it might make sense to keep looking. Considering you are in TN, it shouldn't be hard to find a rust free Jeep near you (or a little bit south of you).

@jodomcfrodo the second jeep has 135k miles on it. I guess the maintenance he focused on was oil changes and tire rotations. Lol
The problem here at home is that people who have these jeeps will not sell, and the ones who do sell, want as much and sometimes more than a brand new one. The tj rubicon jeeps I've found up here in excellent shape have been priced between 25 and 29 thousand bucks!

@Serbonze , when I look a lifted jeep, all I see is problems. People with lifted jeeps use their jeeps a lot harder than someone who just daily drives. When you use your jeep hard, your are more likely to break things. This is the logic in my head, it is by no means supported by facts or real world experience. That is why I'm here getting opinions from people who actually use their jeeps and have experience with these types of modifications.
I'm here to learn! Lol

@Serbonze , when I look a lifted jeep, all I see is problems. People with lifted jeeps use their jeeps a lot harder than someone who just daily drives. When you use your jeep hard, your are more likely to break things. This is the logic in my head, it is by no means supported by facts or real world experience. That is why I'm here getting opinions from people who actually use their jeeps and have experience with these types of modifications.
I'm here to learn! Lol

I totally DISAGREE! It's all about the condition of the Jeep, the quality of the modifications and the maintenance performed on the vehicle.

and I know of many many lifted daily drivers.

Reactions: glwood
@jodomcfrodo the second jeep has 135k miles on it. I guess the maintenance he focused on was oil changes and tire rotations. Lol
The problem here at home is that people who have these jeeps will not sell, and the ones who do sell, want as much and sometimes more than a brand new one. The tj rubicon jeeps I've found up here in excellent shape have been priced between 25 and 29 thousand bucks!

I'm here to learn! Lol
Just so you know, I bought my Rubicon totally stock, and have since lifted it 2-2.5". I wouldn't hesitate to sell it lifted, as it actually drives better than it did when I got it stock. I have not beat the crap out of it, though. Lifted does not always equate to beat on. If you're serious about considering it, have it checked out by a shop. They will be able to let you know how it was taken care of. If I was in the market myself, I'd prefer the one with the lift, and fewer miles, over the one traded in because the transmission went out.

Put a set of Rancho RS5000X shocks and some 31-32" tires on the first Rubicon, and you'd love it.

Last edited:
Reactions: CodaMan
I'm here to learn! Lol[/USER]

So how do you know that the previous owner didn't remove all of their modifications and put the Jeep back to stock prior to selling? It happens all the time.

Reactions: CodaMan