Need some urgent advice

GeorgeSully

TJ Enthusiast
So I’m about to leave for a trip and I start to get electrical problems this morning. Anyway it wouldn’t start without a jump so I put a new battery in and no change. Now I think it’s the alternator as the voltometer is maxed out last 19 or the terminals because when it runs all the interior lights flicker on and off. I’m trying to figure out if I need the 75 amp or 90 amp alternator and until then I’m stuck. Does it matter which one I use as long as it fits?
98 Sahara 4.0 also I can get the vin if that’s necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it didn't start with a new battery the alternator isn't your primary problem. It might be a problem, but not preventing it from starting

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

How clean are your terminals? I would disconnect everything, take some emery cloth or steel wool and make everything shiny. This includes the battery posts, clamp terminals, ring terminals, etc. Anything that is supposed to have metal on metal contact.

If there’s battery corrosion on the terminals, use a paste of baking soda and water and scrub it all off.

For the voltmeter, are you looking at the one in the instrument cluster? Can you measure the voltage across the battery terminals with a handheld meter?

If you can get it to an auto parts store, most places will do free starter/alternator/battery testing

X2 to the above statement that if it won't start with a new battery the problem isn't being caused by the alternator. I'd suspect one of the battery connections is bad where it connects to the battery since the starts if you connect a jump start battery to the connections connected to the battery.

Reactions: GeorgeSully
Agree with Jerry ⬆️. If jumpercables work, but a new battery wont, then the connection from the battery posts to the battery cables is an issue.

Reactions: K0LCB