Need to drain fuel tank

fourpointzero

TJ Addict
Hi everyone-
Im in the middle of a fuel pump change. So far, all nuts have come loose. The hitch was an extra step, but that was cake with an impact.

All three cables: fuel, electric and vapor are disconnected. Inlet unscrewed as well. However, I’ve got close to maybe 11 / 13 gallons in my tank. I purchased a Siphon to extract the fuel but cant seem to get it down into the tank. Any advise would be appreciated. I tried to get to the hoses from the fender (fender cover removed) but the hose clamp screws are facing back, towards the tube.

**Take a look at my concoction to help me lower the tank. Hoping it keeps it stabilized, along w the help of my better half.

76B050F6-44F3-4A30-9A2A-195A537A12E1.jpeg

I thought this was going to be a typical thread asking a "How to..." type question.

I will say so far this is a better thread.

It could be even more better, maybe even best, with a video of how well this works.

No I'm not hoping for any disaster. I'd much prefer to see the video here and not on youtube.

I changed my fuel pump with almost a full tank of gas. You will probably just need some help lowering and raising it so it doesn't tip on you.

A buddy of mine suggested I just ‘do it’ with the fuel inside. I did think to slightly lower it, so I can access the hoses and syphon it then, but probably easier to just pull it with fuel at that point.

Did you find it to be clumsy / wobbly with it full?

It’s a pain in the ass to siphon gas anymore. I dropped mine with a floor jack and piece of plywood, it had about 1/2 a tank in it. Once I got it out, I was able to pull off the 3/4” vent hose and then insert a small siphon hose through it. It made it easier to put back in (but I was working by myself). I didn’t pull the fill hose, but I did a fuel pump on a Chevy Avalanche I had and they actually put crossed rods at the tank to prevent shoving hoses into it.

No I'm not hoping for any disaster. I'd much prefer to see the video here and not on youtube.

Unfortunately, a video would need to be posted to YouTube, first, before it can be shown here. Thats the way the forum works.

And I actually thought “what a pain in the ass to film and work at once”, with YouTube mechanics in mind. Takes lots of patience. Filming the work is not my jam.

I just changed my fuel pump last week with over 3/4 of a tank. Just wobbly is all. If you have a helper you should be good. Biggest issue is getting pump out at an angle to get the float out without spilling anything.

There was somebody on the Darwin Awards that use a Shop-Vac to siphon gas.... Don't do that.

@ Mr. Blaine recommended an ATV Jack and I borrowed one and I had an absolute full tank and it was effortless to handle the tank.

Don't even attempt to undo the two strap bolts that strap the tank to the skid plate there's no need in that.

If you will get an ATV Jack you can do it so much safer and keep your attention focused on clearance and making sure you don't snag any lines or wires.... It distributes the load and it is almost as if it were made for the job.

There are some other good tips on a recent thread that I started about needing fuel pump lessons if you will find that thread you'll find some good input some of the guys posted... There are a few critical things to look for so that you don't break the neck of the fuel pump and so forth.

Siphoning the tank may be hard. You would have to get through the spring loaded plunger thingy.

Reactions: DrDmoney
ATV jack or if you can disconnect the fuel line up at the engine (requires special tool available at the parts store) you can stick the hose in a jug and run the pump

Reactions: fourpointzero
There was somebody on the Darwin Awards that use a Shop-Vac to siphon gas.... Don't do that.

Ha, ridiculous, of course. Absolutely not my MO to extract the fuel.

I noted Blaine’s suggestion, in another thread, for the moto-jack. Saw it my local HF and it’s certainly the tool to assist...which is where I got the inspiration for my home-rigged piece. Just a real PITA to buy and return the jack. But Im seriously considering it.

I pulled my tank with a lot of fuel, it wasn't too bad. Pulling the fuel line at the engine seems like it may take a while to drain. I siphoned my gas out once the tank was on the ground. Made installing it a lot easier. That seems like a good route to me.

so the way I look at these somewhat pain in the ass projects is if I can get a new tool out of it, it all becomes worthwhile. I would recommend you take this opportunity to buy a PneumatiVac Pneumatic Fluid Evacuator. Better known as a mighty vac. Very useful, one of those tools you wonder how you did without.

B

Ha, ridiculous, of course. Absolutely not my MO to extract the fuel.

I noted Blaine’s suggestion, in another thread, for the moto-jack. Saw it my local HF and it’s certainly the tool to assist...which is where I got the inspiration for my home-rigged piece. Just a real PITA to buy and return the jack. But Im seriously considering it.
Just remember if you lose control of that tank of fuel , you 've got a problem.

Be safe... I had a relative that literally burned to death in a shop because of gasoline.

I would go with the ATV jack, I’m certainly going to pick one up, and that’s after removing a full tank, installing a new one, dropping a transfer case and dry fitting an Atlas in twice by hand. I still have to pull the Atlas at least 2 more times before I’m done and I really don’t want to lift it by hand again..

I would go with the ATV jack, I’m certainly going to pick one up, and that’s after removing a full tank, installing a new one, dropping a transfer case and dry fitting an Atlas in twice by hand. I still have to pull the Atlas at least 2 more times before I’m done and I really don’t want to lift it by hand again..
One feature I liked on the the one I used was a separate lever to lower ..just a release pedal ...gave me good control lowering ..which really matters .

It is yellow and a harbor freight central pneumatic brand.

You can stop it from rolling with set screws and it lowers slowly, and keeps the platform level.

It's a must have tool in my opinion for certain work..I can't think of anything that does what it does , better. Harbor freight is a good choice sometimes for specialty tools you won't use often, and need to keep your investment low.

The reason Blaine's recommendation spoke so loud is this- he knows how to survive doing this. The first thing I realized when started my own construction company 20 years ago was this - the top guys , the ones that made the money and put out the work...new how to get a great result without fighting everything. In short , they knew what was about to happen, and what to look for. They knew the best tools, the best products, the best suppliers, websites, books ..you name it. They new a 21° nailer was a bad purchase if the best going deal was on 30° nails. The second thing I realized was that I didn't know squat.

A real pro will absolutely run over a novice or knucklehead in quality and speed.

The short term is "know- how " and getting more of it is one reason I'm on here so much. Never stop learning.

Most all knowledge comes from others , even what we learn ourselves, others often light the path.

All the best,
AndyG

Last edited: