Need to replace my ECM

Well, I got the computer in today ... and I'm reserving judgment for the moment. I'm not entirely sure if it's even the right part at this point ... but ... we'll see how it goes. If anyone knows how I can double check that I have the right part number for my VIN, I'd be grateful for that information.

Who did you get the computer from? What part number did you get? Someone on here should be able to look it up...I have seen several numbers posted on multiple forums so it is out there. Tim

FS1. The original part number was off of the one on the Jeep, but when I ordered a new module with my VIN to be programmed in, I was told I'd ordered the wrong module for my Jeep ... they said they'd adjust the order (same price, no upcharge) and then I got the part I ordered. The girl on the line I talked to swore up and down it was the right part but someone put the wrong sticker on it.

The part that was ON my Jeep was 05010404AC ... the initial email I got from them said I needed 56041305AD according to my VIN. I gave her permission to change it to what it SHOULD be, but they sent the 05010404AC and told me the sticker was just wrong.

Now. I know the girls on the line probably don't know much about it but I'm honestly fuming at the run around I've been getting.

I've NEVER had trouble getting any part for ANY vehicle before so this is just like ... upper level WTF.

I know that Chris had an emulator to look up what that computer would be, but each vin required a seperate user fee, so probably not going to help your situation. Did you try just using a google search with the part number? The difference maybe minor...like a feature that your jeep may or may not have.

I did, but there were several ECM's that came up for that year/model. The trouble is that all i'm finding on google is more ads for the part number, not confirmation of which one I need.

Something is off in the communication here, OBVIOUSLY. I just am like ... half pissed off and half just want this mess behind me.

I went through this when I bought my ecm. Both of those parts you listed are for a 1997 2.5 manual. When an ecm gets a software update it can change the part number. Sometimes a new sticker is put on with a new part number and sometimes not. Sometimes a newer smaller sticker is put on it below the original which designates a software upgrade and a newer p/n.
The best way to make sure it's good is to plug it in and start up the vehicle.
Good luck, I hope it works well for you.

Thanks, DuncLJ. I've got the battery charging right now - I wanted to give it a shot with everything ready to go before I start 'er up.

I hope that's all it is - and if it is, I'll be singing their praises along with the others, but seriously. The girls on the phone have not been clear about anything.

Reactions: DuncLJ
Update just received my ecm from flagship hopefully the weather breaks soon an I can install. My Jeep running great now with the old ecm but it will not pass emissions so hopefully this will fix that thanks for everyone help

It's a shame to hear that about FS1. Anyone who knows anything about business in this day and age should know that customer service is what you're selling.

Bad news travels fast, and all it takes is a simple search in Google to dig up bad reviews like I'm seeing here.

It should be illegal to take money from a customer unless you physically have the product in-stock.

JIT?

The 05-06 computers are a mess and if any company can deliver something that works I'd settle, even if it took an extra few weeks. The Chrysler black boxes are a mess especially with SKIM. Chris, you've mentioned FS1 several times and I'd trust them because of your recommendation, probably just backed up and a little understaffed.

Reactions: Chris
Battery is on the charger, so I'll probably get a chance to test it out tomorrow - as the snow comes in. I talked to the guy Chris mentioned as working for them and he was positively wonderful to chat with, and pretty sure we're good to go.

But ... even if they're backed up/understaffed/need more phone lines, that still doesn't fix the lack of knowledge their phone staff has.

So far, I'm pleased with how things have gone, but again ... test drive tomorrow in some fresh powder.

Reactions: Chris
Sometimes phone staff isn't the smartest... I've run into that issue before. Often times they are just hired help who know very little about what's actually going on, they're just there to take calls.

No kidding. It's just frustrating because that's who you get to talk to, and that's who ends up representing them unless you are LUCKY enough to come to somewhere like here that you know ... 'has a guy' that can help.

ECM was installed yesterday, sat the battery on the trickle charger all day yesterday and overnight ... she fired right up ... and then the voltage dropped to 9 again.

I've had enough guesswork, so she's got an appointment with the local electrical genius to chase down what the HELL is going on with this Jeep.

Again - thanks to all the great advice everyone's given. No codes from the new (to me) ECM just one very frustrated driver. ((though I did manage to bust through a few snowdrifts in my test drive.))

ECM was installed yesterday, sat the battery on the trickle charger all day yesterday and overnight ... she fired right up ... and then the voltage dropped to 9 again.

I've had enough guesswork, so she's got an appointment with the local electrical genius to chase down what the HELL is going on with this Jeep.

Again - thanks to all the great advice everyone's given. No codes from the new (to me) ECM just one very frustrated driver. ((though I did manage to bust through a few snowdrifts in my test drive.))
Dam I hope your electrical guy can chase down the problem but on the bright side you got to wheel it a little lol

My electrical guy is a genius, I was just hoping to circumvent the whole bill issue. lol

But ... I gotta say, Wrangler6035 was VERY helpful to me too. He looked up the info I needed fast. Super customer service, and he was sure to clear the confusion for me. (thanks, Wrangler6035. I really appreciate all you did)

Alright guys, got the update ... Jeep went to the doctor ... and two hundred bucks later, it was a broken wire in the wiring harness. Charging up right now, all is good, and hot damn, if it wasn't in time for round two of the snowstorms.

Reactions: Coop and DuncLJ