Need your help: Is it foolish to install a $700 Sony CarPlay unit in a TJ without a hardtop?

Adding to this...3 guys were stealing my daughter's friends catalytic converter on Friday night. He walked up to the car after his shift. One of these fuckheads pulled a gun and murdered him.

https://abc7.com/post/man-shot-killed-after-interrupting-theft-catalytic-converter/14871148/

If they will murder someone over $400 in scrap, what will they do to you or you jeep over $700 or a $1000 bucks in stereo equipment.

Maybe you're in a safer place up in Big Bear?

Is this the guy?

General Hospital Actor Killed In Theft Gone Wrong

Being in LA, the chances of the perpetrators being caught are almost nil.

Even if they get caught and arrested, they'll be back on the streets before the funeral.

Total and absolute tragedy to be murdered by the lowest form of human life, a criminal. IMO, California's leaders are criminals themselves, and responsible for allowing these type of trash individuals to proliferate and commit crimes in their cities and go truly unpunished till they ultimately take someone's life. Then it becomes more of a burden on their resources to investigate and find these people. And it's a cycle that continues and grow and worsen like a cancer.

Total and absolute tragedy to be murdered by the lowest form of human life, a criminal. IMO, California's leaders are criminals themselves, and responsible for allowing these type of trash individuals to proliferate and commit crimes in their cities and go truly unpunished till they ultimately take someone's life. Then it becomes more of a burden on their resources to investigate and find these people. And it's a cycle that continues and grow and worsen like a cancer.

This problem happens all over the country, and not just California. California is just so populated, and the jails are so overcrowded. Then, there are politics, which is a problem in itself. I remember the story of a guy in the south that ran from the police numerous times, seriously injured others, had a gun, and he was let go. After the third time, he was caught in a shoot out with police and died. The question is, "why did the justice system continually just let this guy go with basically a fine and reprimand"? Maybe, it has to do with jail overcrowding and maybe it has to do with something else. I agree that it is a problem, just not only in California. What makes better news? Crimes in California, or crimes in South Dakota, or any rural states?

Reactions: fourpointzero
This problem happens all over the country, and not just California. California is just so populated, and the jails are so overcrowded. Then, there are politics, which is a problem in itself. I remember the story of a guy in the south that ran from the police numerous times, seriously injured others, had a gun, and he was let go. After the third time, he was caught in a shoot out with police and died. The question is, "why did the justice system continually just let this guy go with basically a fine and reprimand"? Maybe, it has to do with jail overcrowding and maybe it has to do with something else. I agree that it is a problem, just not only in California. What makes better news? Crimes in California, or crimes in South Dakota, or any rural states?

California certainly does read better. And we know all publications need to pay the bills. But a lot of why we read so much about the state is based on a factor you mentioned: "California is just so populated".

Thank prop 47, prop 57, AB 109, and California leadership.

Reactions: fourpointzero
Personally, I would say no. We all work hard for our money, so enjoy it. A high end stereo is a luxury, which helps doing errands, commuting, etc. Love the unit.

By the way, what year is your TJ? Did you have to cut the sub dash?

IMG_7816.jpeg

I am totally blown away how good this $100 no name Amazon CarPlay head unit sounds.

No instructions so I have NOT taken her through the paces but my first impressions were all positive.

I drove into town and got up to 60 mph with the heater on and the top down and it still sounded great.

I thought I would for sure need an external amp but now I think I’ll just get a really good self powered sub and call it a day.

Tomorrow I’ll attempt to hook up the front and rear cameras and program the steering wheel remote.

View attachment 531468

I am totally blown away how good this $100 no name Amazon CarPlay head unit sounds.

No instructions so I have NOT taken her through the paces but my first impressions were all positive.

I drove into town and got up to 60 mph with the heater on and the top down and it still sounded great.

I thought I would for sure need an external amp but now I think I’ll just get a really good self powered sub and call it a day.

Tomorrow I’ll attempt to hook up the front and rear cameras and program the steering wheel remote.

Nice work. I'd certainly steal that... :)

I have gone back-and-forth with Bluetooth amps without a head unit to 1.5 DIN in factory location to 1 DIN w/ adapter and finally 2 DIN w/ new bezel but also thought about utilizing a McIntosh head unit I had and I’ve spent way way way too much time going back-and-forth so I finally said f-it and was just about to order the head unit I really want which is a Sony KAV-AX6000* when my buddy text me and I told him I was about to order it and he’s like are you f-ing crazy it’s gonna be stolen in a week!

So am I f-ing crazy?

*Of note I just installed 4 - 5.25 Focal 130ac speakers. They are low efficiency so want 50 watts. The Sony AX6000 peaks at 55 but is rated at only 20 so even if I go this route there still may be an amp in my future.

View attachment 528260

View attachment 528280

I installed a system for a boat ( from Crutchfield) so as to be weatherproof. The sound is great and my dash would have to be totally destroyed to remove it quickly.

Reactions: Neil Sears
Move here. We went bicyling down the trail with 5 breweries on it yesterday. We left $3000 worth of bikes and ebikes out on a rack with no locks and drank away at the bar.

You could leave your stereo in the back seat in the box with your receipt and nobody would take it. If they did, someone would likely shoot them for trying.

I have a plan to avoid that. Stay tuned.

Big bear is a nice area. You should be safer up there in the snow. I named my Jeep after my Big Bear excursions. On my last visit, there was a wonderful snow storm. I woke up and my Jeep was covered in snow. Hence the name, "Snow Buggy".

Reactions: Neil Sears
Adding to this...3 guys were stealing my daughter's friends catalytic converter on Friday night. He walked up to the car after his shift. One of these fuckheads pulled a gun and murdered him.

https://abc7.com/post/man-shot-killed-after-interrupting-theft-catalytic-converter/14871148/

If they will murder someone over $400 in scrap, what will they do to you or you jeep over $700 or a $1000 bucks in stereo equipment.

Maybe you're in a safer place up in Big Bear?

Killing someone over scrap metal and some special rocks is a very, very new low.