New "1984" Novel

InOmaha

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Every time a story is re written, or a movie remade to fit some kind of agenda, it just proves they have no original ideas. I preach this to my young daughter regularly. Wanna make a story with a female lead? Great, hope it has a good story and then I’ll watch it. But if you’re just remaking something and plugging in a female because…whatever the complaint of the day is, then you lost me.

Reactions: B252 and Chris
This as a spinoff, not a rewrite. Nothing inherently wrong with spinoffs. What I find offensive is the misleading clickbait headline on this derivative article.

Everyone commenting on this headline as if it were true just got taken for a ride.

Reactions: Mike_H
This as a spinoff, not a rewrite. Nothing inherently wrong with spinoffs. What I find offensive is the misleading clickbait headline on this derivative article.

Everyone commenting on this headline as if it were true just got taken for a ride.

Spinoff with a take. She understands more than Winston, yet is a typical low information citizen. The goal is to dilute the original while making money for the estate. Because the kids can't come up with anything original and book sales are down.

Publisher Granta said that Julia understands the world of Oceania "far better than Winston and is essentially happy with her life".[…]

"She has known no other world and, until she meets Winston, never imagined one. She's opportunistic, believing in nothing and caring not at all about politics. She routinely breaks the rules but also collaborates with the regime whenever necessary. She's an ideal citizen of Oceania," said Granta.

Given 1984 is coming true before our eyes, the estate could have done a reprint with a marketing campaign for some quick cash.

Maybe a movie with a wheelchair bound trans Winston/Julia is next.