New 2006 TJ owner looking for advice on lifts

Tony13393

I purchased a 06 tj, 6 speed manual recently. This summer we are planning to swap out the 2.4 liter v4 (only has 53k mikes in it) for a 2007 Chevy vortec v6. My questions are 1. I ultimately want to run 33” tires. What brand and size lift kit should I look for? And with this proposed lift will I need to do any work other than install the kit or are there other considerations? Ie shifter etc??? Also any suggestions are welcome, I’m new and learning.

360434E0-861D-4D16-A9EB-5AC601FDCF73.jpeg

For 33" tires you ideally want a 4" lift.

If you asked me "What is the best off-the-shelf 4" lift I can put on my TJ?", my answer will always be Currie or Savvy, hands down.

That's a lift that will not only last you longer than you'll probably own the vehicle, but also probably one of the few lifts that will IMHO add value to your vehicle should you ever choose to sell it. It's also not a very cheap lift, that's for sure. But, in the world of Jeeps, you get what you pay for (believe me, that's very, very true, especially with lifts!).

With said lift, you'd also need a SYE (see here: The Official SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator) Thread) and CV driveshaft (see here: What is a SYE/CV driveshaft and why do I want one?).

Quickly looked at those two options. I’m assuming those must be in the high end at around 2600.00 either way. The goal
For this vehicle is some off roaring on the weekends and limited city driving. The 2600 is a bit out of my range considering the cash I’m gonna drop on the engine. Is there something middle of the road?

Yes, those two lifts are pretty much the best-of-the-best in terms of bolt-on lifts. If you want something middle of the road, get some Currie 4" springs, some Rancho RS5000X shocks, some Core control arms, and a SYE / CV driveshaft combo.

Reactions: Goatman
Fair enough, thanks for the advise. Most of this is getting done this summer. I’ll be sure to share pics and let ya know how it goes.

Reactions: Chris
Sounds good, I look forward to seeing the progress. The Vortec V6 swap is a good choice too from what I hear.

Why a V6? Same work will get you the V8. Extra power and torque. Plus the V8 might even get you better mileage because it will be working less hard to move down the road.

well Goat, I do have some reasons:
1. V8 would weigh a lot more I feel it would make the Jeep more apt to rolling.
2. Gas mileage would be questionable, gonna be a larger liter engine obviously and as such require more fuel.
3. The tj only weighs around 3200 lbs. I’m not looking to beat this Jeep to the point I would need that power on a trail or mud bog, that said 200+ hp from a reliable Chevy v6 seems more than enough. Especially with the 6 speed manual with reverse trans. It is geared very low because of the v4 that came with it. Something like 4.85 in first etc...
those were the initial reasons.

Not to mention the possibility that I would have to upgrade axels and rear diff I believe if I went to a v8. I believe the torque would twist the axles and shred the diff.

I believe all of that is correct, please correct me if I’m wrong.

All good points. Just asked because some people don't always look at all the options. Tho IIRC the LS is about the same weight as a 4.0.
I'll be very interested in watching your build thread. More than willing to have someone change my thinking.👍