New 42RLE transmission adventure

Jerry Little

A couple months ago I set out to find a remanufactured transmission. I bought one from Transmission Exchange "aka bullripper" When it arrived my shop of choice took mine out and went to install bullrippers and found the bell housing to be different. After phone calls to trans exchange it was determined to be of a newer year than the 2006 wrangler. Then bullripper said they did not have mine in stock to rebuild and wanted me to send them mine to rebuild. I said no come pick up your wrong transmission and give me back my money. Long time later I got all my money back but through much hassle. Then the shop who was doing the work for me said they could build me a transmission as good as bullripper or better. So I agreed to let a local shop rebuild it. Keep in mind I was having hard delayed shifts going into second gear. When they finished rebuilding mine and I picked it up the same thing was happening but even more so. 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd and now 2nd gear starts. So it got worse even though they also changed all the solenoids out in valve body and did a shift kit etc. So they tried resetting the transmission by pulling battery cable etc. But problems would come back with in a day. They began to believe it was the computer and wanted to reflash mine with newer software. I said no I will replace the computer entirely myself and see what happens. So I ended up buying one from this place. https://www.fs1inc.com/ but I bought it from them on ebay. I have the 42RLE transmission. Seems like a good place so I gave them my Vin number and they told me which computer I needed it was an updated computer with updated software. so when I got it and installed it all my problems went away. It shifts better than it did with old computer even after resetting it. It has been 2 weeks not and it is just as good as it was when I installed it. So maybe someone can learn something here maybe I never needed a rebuilt transmission? O'well least now I know what I got.

Last edited:
A good transmission shop can read the wear parameters of the 42RLE from the computer. If the shop can't tell you how the transmission is doing you're going to spend some extra money.

Old stuff you have to pull apart or guess, new stuff you just have to know how to ask the right question.

Thanks for sharing your story.

I think this shifting issue is one of those things that is rather elusive. I've owned two 2005 TJs, both with the 42RLE, and neither of them ever had this issue.

If I did ever have the issue, the first person I'd probably consult about it would be Blaine, as he would likely know the right person to put me in touch with in regards to who can solve it.

I'm honestly not sure why the issue happens to begin with. It seems that perhaps there was a software update at some point to address it, but I'm not 100% certain on that.

I go back and forth on technology on vehicles. My thought is that if you don't plan on working on it yourself, then buy a vehicle with the most modern technology you can get, as it's usually very, very nice and comfortable to drive.

However, if you plan on wrenching on it yourself, the simpler it is, the better. To work on most modern cars you need to have serious knowledge of software and how these computers talk to each other.