New axle options for TJ - Brands?

Longhorn84

TJ Enthusiast
My question is specific to buying new Dana 44 axles, front and rear for a TJ, and specifically what brands make them (I'm not sold on buying new and not looking for a Super 35 debate or buying used TJ axles, or going 1-ton, just curious on current manufacturing options for 44's).

So far, I know these manufacturers sell TJ axles:
  • Currie sells them (edit: front 44 but only a 60 rear)
  • ECGS sells a Dana 44 rear but only a Dana 489 for front (limits locker options to ARB or Ox only)
  • G2 sells them actively
  • Teraflex only sells Dana 60s that I can find
  • Dynatrac has a front 44 for TJ on the Northridge 4x4 website but no rear

Are there any others that currently make 44's?

Last edited:
East Coast Gear Supply called when I emailed about their Dana 44 front option, they seem to have great optionality such as a wider axle (60.5 vs 64 vs 65"). Anyone run their axles?

Thanks, I hadn't heard of them before. They look to be similar pricing to Currie and use Currie housings, any intel on why someone would use them vs just buying from Currie?

How We Got Started

CARBON might be a new brand, but it has old roots! We are family owned and operated, and are using decades of experience to bring the Highest Quality products to you at a fair price! Here's a brief summary:
  • 1985 - After college, Ron Stobaugh co-founded West Coast Differentials in Northern California, not far from the Rubicon Trail.
  • 1987 - Ron and his future wife Tracy start Gear Performance, again in Northern California.
  • 1990-96 - Racing off road almost full-time, winning races and Championships, Ron specializes in Baja races, learning the value of tough products in the middle of nowhere. Ron and Tracy have a son, Austin, who is kind of born into the whole off-road racing and business.
  • 1997 - Ron Stobaugh co-founds Superior Axle and Gear and DriveTrain Direct. Austin works in the warehouse during summers packaging axle kits.
  • 2004 - Ron starts ALLOY USA, and eventually he and his team buy Precision Gear. Austin works more and more learning about axle and gear manufacturing, assembly, marketing and customer service.
  • 2007 - Ron and Austin start Desert Race School (www.desertraceschool.com), where they have taught dozens of new racers and teams how to race competitively and safely.
  • 2009 - Ron starts TEN Factory and manages the Motive Gear off-road program, developing sponsorships with Rob MacCachren, Robby Gordon, Casey Currie, Cameron and Heidi Steele, Jeremy McGrath, Bryce Menzies, Shannon Campbell, Brad and Roger Lovell and more!
  • 2010 - Austin opens Baja Tested (www.bajatested.com) for business.
  • 2011 - Austin opens Rubicon Tested (www.rubicontested.com) for business.
  • 2014 - Austin and Ron open Baja Sunlight (www.bajasunlight.com) for business, specializing in High Quality LED Lighting, sold DIRECT.
  • Ron works with Hammerking Productions and King Of the Hammers, working on sponsorships and business relationships.
  • 2015 - We're now ready to start CARBON Off Road. We specialize in Jeep products! Chromoly Axle Kits, problem solving products, Carbon Fiber products, and products YOU suggest. Let us know if you see a problem that needs to be solved - if we haven't already looked into it, we will. And we will sell Direct and through Authorized Distributors, saving you money!
  • 2016 - One of our customers from Desert Race School partners with our family, creating Off Road Brands, Inc. We remain a family business, no out of touch executives to explain off road to or big investment companies involved. We may stumble, run out of product occasionally as we grow, but our prices will be fair, our products will be the highest quality, and we will treat you like our family.

Thanks, I hadn't heard of them before. They look to be similar pricing to Currie and use Currie housings, any intel on why someone would use them vs just buying from Currie?

Does Currie sell a Complete 44 rear axle for the TJ? I thought they only sold the housing for the rear?

Does Currie sell a Complete 44 rear axle for the TJ? I thought they only sold the housing for the rear?
You're right, I just looked and their rear on the website is a 60. It was the same price as the front so I assumed it was a 44.