New clutch and flywheel install

Any special tools required? Just want to make sure I have everything before I get started.
A transmission jack would be very helpful since it will make it easier to get the transmission lined up so you can remove and (especially) replace it. If the transmission angle is off in the slightest the transmission will bind coming off or going on and you'll think you left a bolt on or there's a problem.

You'll need an E-12 extended torx socket to remove the upper bolt holding the transmission to the engine. Plus a whole bunch of extensions to be able to reach that bolt. If you want to remove the transfer case, you'll need an E-10.

Your clutch kit should come with a pilot shaft to align the clutch disk while bolting the pressure plate in place. A torque wrench should be used to tighten the pressure plate bolts to 37 ft-lbs.

Very lightly lube the shaft and clutch disk splines with grease, don't overdo it as you don't want grease slinging out onto the clutch disk and flywheel. Lightly grease the fork pivot and release fork pivot surface

If there's any glazing on the surface of the flywheel, just sand it off with a very mild grade of sandpaper or emery cloth. Do NOT have the flywheel machined or resurfaced, that is per the factory service manual. The reason being is it has a slight dome shape on the surface for smoother clutch engagement/disengagement. Machining/resurfacing it would remove that dome shape.

Place some high-speed bearing grease on your fingertip and grease the pilot bearing on the flywheel.

Finally, there's no need to replace the flywheel unless it is physically damaged. If you bought one, you can return it for a refund. RARELY are the flywheels damaged.

Good luck with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: J R and TheGanzman
Transmission jack for sure. Using a floor jack is a pita. The clutch kit will likely come with an alignment tool.

About 2-3 feet of extension/s to reach the upper bellhousing bolts.

The rest is basic tools you should have for any job.

Few auto parts or tool store employees know what an extended torx socket is. I looked in my local Autozone for one years ago and the guy said they didn't have them. They were there though hanging near the other torx tools.

Most tool and hardware stores carry them. NAPA for sure should have them. Don't be surprised if they give you a blank stare though.

E-12.JPG

Reactions: Ted
Harbor Freight has them in a set that includes a bunch of Torx, and the inverted Torx.
I did my clutch last weekend, and some wobble extensions really made some bolts easier to get ahold of.

Finally, there's no need to replace the flywheel unless it is physically damaged. If you bought one, you can return it for a refund. RARELY are the flywheels damaged.

Jerry, I've got a new flywheel but difficulty removing the bolts has me re-thinking installing it, I cannot determine if it needs to be replaced or not by looking at it. It doesn't appear warped or cracked but maybe I can't see it. My TJ has 131,000 miles, how long are these original flywheels supposed to last anyway, and do you think returning the new one & cleaning this one up with emery cloth/leaving it on there would be wise?

flywheel.jpg