New Dorman Ignition Cylinder Hard to Turn

Benway LBD

Howdy,

I just replaced the ignition cylinder in my 2003 TJ with a Dorman 924-703. The new one turns but requires quite a bit more force than the original. I have both of the original gray SKIM keys as well as a non-SKIM one, it works the same for all of them. I gave the cylinder a few blasts of graphite lubricant but that didn't seem to help. It works but something doesn't seem quite right.

Over the years the original cylinder had gotten to the point where I could remove the key with it running & recently occasionally would lock up (a few hard taps would make it work). Since it did the same with the non-SKIM key I replaced the cylinder. I locked my keys inside a few years ago & locksmith had a plain key made at dealer so I could open the door. So it shouldn't be an issue with the key, when original cylinder worked with an old key it was easy to turn.

T

may be possible when you were replacing the tumblers in the cylinder you may have misplaced one in sequence or a small spring may have not been installed or pinched in place.

also depending on your mileage, it may be time to go to the dealer to get a new key cut from their VIN database. keys wear down over time and cutting a new key from a worn key will result in a worn new key only to wear down even more along with wearing your tumblers/cylinder.

the dealer will ask for some paperwork to verify your the owner before cutting the key off their VIN file on record in their database & the new key should look night and day different. think I had to bring the paper registration I keep with my insurance and drivers license and they cut a key no problem. skim keys cost more than non skim. think I paid $50'ish at the time for a non skim.

I checked all the tumblers & one spring was pinched. It now turns better but still not as smoothly as the old one. I have a non-SKIM key that I got from dealer a few years ago that has only been used a couple of times to open the door. The cylinder turns slightly better with it than the 2 original SKIM keys but still not as easily as before.

I was careful to record the tumbler sequence on the old cylinder, so I think that's correct. I confirmed the new ones match.

Is there usually a noticeable difference with a new cylinder? It's not like I have to force it to turn but there's a difference.