New double DIN head unit and front and rear cameras

pcrawfordpt

Posted a few weeks ago asking questions about the wiring to complete this job. Got some feedback, but wanted to share my experience in case anyone else is interested in doing this. I HIGHLY recommend this modification. It gives you all the benefits of Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, Plus a back-up camera so you can now see without that huge spare blocking your view, and a front camera to help with tire placement when off roading. I picked up the Alpine ILX-W650 and installation kit from Crutchfield. Just under $400 with tax (free shipping). I chose the Alpine ILX-W650 first because it's only 3 inches deep and figured it's less like to break the mounting brackets when off roading. A full Double DIN would place a lot more rearward force on the mounting brackets up front. Besides, I don't need DVD. Second, I chose it because it can run two cameras. The backup camera comes on automatically when going into reverse and the front camera comes on from the touch screen with only two touches Camera>Front, done. The cameras I purchased were Rayoo bullet type cameras off Amazon for $24 each. I chose these because they were waterproof, and all you have to do is clip wires to change the "mirror" image and remove guidelines if you want. I actually chose to keep the guidelines up front and they ended up matching perfectly to my tire tracks...definately helpful when you have no spotter off reading. I'm going snip the wire to remove the Backup camera's guides from the camera as the Alpine superimposes it's own guidelines and they are adjustable. This will provide just one set of guidelines and can be precisely adjusted. I mounted the front camera on my winch fairlead and the rear one on my spare tire mount using a piece of metal strapping from Home Depot. Bonus - the holes in the strapping were the same size required for the camera to slip through! I just painted it back, bolted to the spare tire mount, and bent it forward to peek through the spare tire at the angle I wanted.

The Backup camera wiring goes like this: At the receiver plug the RCA into "Rear" RCA, red bobtail wire on RCA cable connects to the Orange/White (Alpine) reverse wire. At the back camera the red bobtail wire on the RCA gets combined with the red power wire from the camera and they attach to the Reverse wire off one of your tail lights. Usually this us a Purple wire, but because I have a trailer harness already set up, I just tapped into it. The ground goes to the chassis.

The Front camera wiring goes like this: At the Receiver plug the RCA into "Front" RCA, red bobtail wire combined into the Red "Accessory Wire for power. At the front camera, the red bobtail wire on the RCA connects to the red power wire from the camera and the ground goes tot he chassis.

Hope you consider this mod. $450 all in. PM me if you need any more details.

IMG_5983.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 8.00.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 8.03.53 PM.png

IMG_5978.jpeg

IMG_5979.jpeg

let's see that camera footage front and back please.. been thinking about doing the same thing

How did you run your wires from the tailgate to the tub. I've been looking at this all day trying to figure out the best way.

How did you run your wires from the tailgate to the tub. I've been looking at this all day trying to figure out the best way.
Because I put the camera on the tailgate, I had to run the wires to the passenger side. I have a soft top, so I just slipped the wires thought the little gap. I drilled a little hole trough the top to the inner fender to connect to the reverse and ground wires. Then I I just ran the camera wire up the passenger side into the dash and across to the receiver.

Thanks. I hate drilling holes in my Jeep.
O man, Fargo, you need to get over that one. My rig is one big drilled hole. I literally drilled 8 holes in mine just yesterday!

Once you do the first one, the rest are easy...

Reactions: Fargo
Because I put the camera on the tailgate, I had to run the wires to the passenger side. I have a soft top, so I just slipped the wires thought the little gap. I drilled a little hole trough the top to the inner fender to connect to the reverse and ground wires. Then I I just ran the camera wire up the passenger side into the dash and across to the receiver.
Thank you so much for this write-up. Could we get a picture of how you ran your wires?

let's see that camera footage front and back please.. been thinking about doing the same thing
+1 I have read different things about the backup camera being in the tire vs. down low in terms of guide accuracy. I was thinking about mounting to a hitch cover, since I don't tow anything.

Last edited:
+1 I have read different things about the backup camera being in the tire vs. down low in terms of guide accuracy. I wasn't thinking about mounting to a hitch cover, since I don't tow anything.
Will get some pictures for you all soon. What I can tell you is my front camera is spot on. The rear may be off a little, but if so this Alpine unit can manually be adjusted. You would just clip the wires for the camera's guidelines and use the Alpine's guidelines. That will make sense if you review the stereo and how to adjust the guidelines.