New Exogate Install

DC0046

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
IMG_1588.JPG
IMG_1590.JPG
IMG_1591.JPG
Needed to mount 285/75/16 to match tires on the ground. After much research and recommendations on this forum, went with the Exogate.

I am admittedly jealous! Looks like a really nice, clean install!

What did you end up paying for it?

$483 with shipping.

Not bad at all. This is ultimately what I will end up going with. I wanted the OR-Fab tire carrier, but I am sick of waiting for them to "restructure" as they claim they are doing. They've been "restructuring" for over a year now with no ETA in sight.

Reactions: JP13 and DC0046
Reactions: DC0046
Not bad at all. This is ultimately what I will end up going with. I wanted the OR-Fab tire carrier, but I am sick of waiting for them to "restructure" as they claim they are doing. They've been "restructuring" for over a year now with no ETA in sight.
Thanks. After looking around, it was also the cheapest option over a decent rear bumper and swing out tire carrier. I think this will. E more convenient also.

Reactions: Chris
Looks great! Have been considering one myself. Was it easy ton install? Does it make a big difference on the tailgate openning and closing, etc.
After reading all the comments about installation, I went ahead and bit the bullet and let a local 4 wheel shop install it. He told me in advance it would be one hour; however they haven't installed one of these on a TJ. Lots of JKs. Took them 3 hours and still only charged me a one hour rate. $95

Reactions: MikeE024 and CRGR
To me, it looks like the cleanest and least bulky solution for a spare holder. Will be my choice when the time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DC0046
Thank you very much! One last question . . . Is that taking the distance of the nuts holding the hinge into account? I'm asking because I have the Savvy LED tail lights and that looks like it might be to narrow for them. I'm headed out to measure them now.
Top of the upper nut on the lower hinge to the lower nut on the upper hinge is about 6 3/4 inches.

Reactions: VirtualRussel
Is there reinforcement on the inside, behind the hinges? Also, if one just did the hinges alone with no tire carrier, would that eliminate the backing plate behind the hinges?

Looks great, by the way.

Is there reinforcement on the inside, behind the hinges? Also, if one just did the hinges alone with no tire carrier, would that eliminate the backing plate behind the hinges?

Looks great, by the way.
Yes. Tied into the roll bar bolts. The OEM tire carrier is used with the Exogate. Thanks for the compliment.

Assuming @DC0046 went with the GR8TOPS Exogate, they sell just the heavy duty hinges as well http://gr8tops.com/shop/jeepmodels/wrangler-lj-2/tj-heavy-duty-replacement-tailgate-hinges
Yes, I know they offer just the hinges. I am seeing a backing plate in the photos of the HD tire carrier kit, so I assume that the reason for that is to space the hinges out the same as the tailgate reinforcement plate that the tire carrier mounts onto, as well as reinforce the hinge mounts...

I'd love to see one of these in person, though.

I am having this same problem! So my spare sits in the garage until I give up on OR Fab...

Reactions: JP13 and Chris