New fuel pump, but still have trouble starting

For shits and grins, spray some starting fluid into the throttle body the next time you have trouble starting the engine. If it starts and runs with the starting fluid you have a fuel issue. If it still doesn't start you have an ignition problem.

I've been just trying to live with the problem. But a couple times over the past couple months my jeep wouldn't start and left me stuck. Generally when it was sitting for a couple hours. Luckily I was close enough to home that it wasn't too bad. I really want to know how to fix it because I feel like I can't depend on it to work when I need it.

Do what Jerry said with the starter fluid, but with the gauges not coming on and the same time it will not start, and then when the gauges work, the jeep starts that seems to point to an electrical problem.

Do what Jerry said with the starter fluid, but with the gauges not coming on and the same time it will not start, and then when the gauges work, the jeep starts that seems to point to an electrical problem.

This is more likely the case. Ignition switch could be the issue. I would play around the key to check this out. Rotate it slowly to the run position, then back and forth a little watching the gauges. Push the key in and out a little at the same time. If you get a response on the gauges, I would look at replacing the switch.

Another area to check is the positive feed jumper from the battery to the fuse block under the hood.

I tried fiddling with the key and it did nothing.
I was looking on the YJ forum and saw some people having a similar issue with their 2.5Ls. They used a hair dryer to heat up their ECMs and it worked. I tried this with my jeep and it actually worked so right now I'm planning on getting a refurbed ECM to fix this.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I just had the same problem. I had to keep cranking the engine for 3 or 4 seconds past when it should have caught.

I suspected a fuel pressure leak.

i put a pressure tester on the fuel line .. it read zero .. so, I figured I should run the engine.

it started first time.

took off the pressure gauge and screwed back the plastic cap .. the engine went back to its previous bad behavior ... long story short .. a few months ago I noticed the cap was loose and tightened it.

i didn’t connect that with the beginning of the problem.

it seems (in my case) that screwing the black cap down managed to invoke a pressure leak.

this is 2001 TJ with 20000 miles ... hardly even run in.

(and I realize that rubber is no respecter of mileage)

as I figured I was hallucinating I went thru this a few times and EVERY TIME the caP was tightened down, I had to overcrank before the engine would catch.

i would like to say that I got a good pressure reading .. except that it read zero even when the engine was purring. This may have been pressure gauge user issues .. it came with 30 bits and no instructions.

so, I suspect a valve issue ... but .. as it’s runnIng I can’t be bothered to tempt fate and replace that part of the fuel system,.

I suspect that somehow the bleed pin has moved up and is striking the black cap .. the zero reading may possibly be a symptom and not me messing up .. the pressure doodad screwed into the fuel line perfectly but even when manually “poked” didn’t jet gas out (as the pressure nipple did)

i have no idea about the mechanics of a pressure nipple but I assume there’s small rubber O rings in the assembly somewhere .

Last edited: