New Jeep owner in need of information

Tjbythebay

Just bought my first Jeep. It’s a 2002 Jeep Tj sport 4.0L manual with 147k on it. I am new to the Jeep scene. I know How to use a wrench so that’s not a problem for me I just don’t know that much about these. I have a few questions.
1: What should I look for at first? (it’s not leaking anything no rust it’s good on fluids)
2: Is there any handy tips/tricks I should know?
3: what are the “must mods” or any free hacks I can do?
4: really just looking for any information that will make my Jeep owning experience the best it can be.

BD9D2DB4-AF2A-4926-AA68-42622A8E4066.jpeg

looks like its lifted already
Looks like its missing the fog lights-- if that was a option on yours, they were on mine & i like them ( my upgraded version though )
I think it good just like it is-- maybe a winch??

Welcome & good luck

Welcome from another PNW member.

Give us all the information on your TJ like: Axles, Tire size, Gearing if you know, any other options that you might know were installed. Then take a look in the

https://wranglertjforum.com/forums/tj-how-to-guides.109/
https://wranglertjforum.com/forums/tj-resources.121/
There is a ton of info in these sections.
I’m a big car guy but know very little about this stuff so I don’t even know what tire size is on the suspension looks stock to me

I was in the same boat a couple of years ago - been a car guy all my life but knew nothing about Jeeps. I would recommend you drive that thing as it is for the summer and figure out what you really like about it and what you don't before you start doing modifications. When an idea pops into your head, get back on this forum and read, read, read. Folks here do all kinds of different stuff to their TJs, but some of it might not be for you.

Also as you drive it give it a good shakedown mechanically. Look for little leaks, listen for odd noises... Don't forget you bought a 20 year old truck, so the odds of it needing general maintenance is well within the realm of possibility. It would suck for you to blow your budget on another lift or armor only to find out you need to overhaul the cooling system too.

That's a good looking TJ!

I’m a big car guy but know very little about this stuff so I don’t even know what tire size is on the suspension looks stock to me

Okay if you are a car guy do you know how to read tire sizes on the side of tire? It can be a P-Metric or something like 31x10.5x rim size. Give us that information and we can help from there a little.
You have some ones corner guards also on the rear.

Simular to these that I have on my TJ but you don't have weld on flares like I do.

IMG00241[1].jpg
IMG00245[1].jpg
IMG00253[1].jpg

And it looks like you might have some type of rocker guards but it's hard to tell from your picture.
Also take some pictures of your control arms and shocks plus the springs.

Read thru those links I posted earlier as they will explain a lot for you and will tell you how to measure to find out if you do have a lift.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Like “ The guy with the Big Yellow Car “ said —drive the Jeep and see how you are going to use it. A winch is great, but not if you don’t plan on needing it (like driving around Pike Place 🤔) . After driving it and seeing how you use it - it will become your special Jeep ( J-E-E-P. Just Empty Ever Pocket ) Enjoy

Reactions: qslim
Just bought my first Jeep. It’s a 2002 Jeep Tj sport 4.0L manual with 147k on it. I am new to the Jeep scene. I know How to use a wrench so that’s not a problem for me I just don’t know that much about these. I have a few questions.
1: What should I look for at first? (it’s not leaking anything no rust it’s good on fluids)
2: Is there any handy tips/tricks I should know?
3: what are the “must mods” or any free hacks I can do?
4: really just looking for any information that will make my Jeep owning experience the best it can be.

View attachment 154661
Welcome to the forum! Nice TJ, like @Wildman and @qslim said there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum. There are some key players in the development and implementation of some of the best products for the TJ/LJ platform that respond regularly on here. Don’t underestimate the search function. Best advice I have is read and research some build threads and the “how to’s”. Drive and learn your jeep. You’ll quickly learn what you don’t like and what you love. Give the jeep a few inspections, all the bushings, evap lines, joints, etc and you’ll quickly start picking up what is where and does what. Have fun and I look forward to more of your posts!

First, I'd add a Savvy body lift kit and Savvy motor mount lift kit. Second, I'd decide if I was going to stay at that tire size, determine the gear ratio, regear accordingly and add lockers/limited slips if warranted.

Paint looks faded- I would polish it or have it polished. This MIGHT sound stupid, but if you dont know what polishing is-- just ask